1.12

When she wakes up, Loraana is utterly alone. Her hands are bound above her head to repress her use of the Force along with her legs shackled in the air as she floats in the energy field. The room around her is dark, hiding every secret she would normally rely on noticing, the only light source from the force field itself.

Whatever overwhelming feeling had hit her before is mostly gone, just a dull ache in the back of her mind along with her throbbing arm. It is useless to try and escape these bonds, so she does not try; instead, she closes her eyes, trying to reach out despite her shackles.

Something twisted blocks her.

"Count Dooku." She opens her eyes to see the man himself in front of her. "I would say it's a pleasure, but it seems your minions have mistaken me for a foe. How strange."

"Strange indeed," A wry chuckle echoes around the cell. "I don't believe we've had the pleasure, though I have heard about you, Loraana Windu. So much more than a pretty face. Excuse the precautions."

She tries to shrug, but her position only agitates her wound. "What do you want?"

"I want your help. Yours and Obi-Wan's."

His name makes her heart beat faster. Instead of picturing his face, fearing the worst, Loraana says, "You're mad if you think either of us will help you harm the Republic."

"Such loyalty," he drawls as he approaches. Loraana tries to hide her shiver beneath his gaze, tilting her head up to meet his. "You may not like what I have to say."

"Spit it out then."

"What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of the Dark Lords of the Sith?"

"I would say that's impossible. The Jedi would be aware of it." She clenches her jaw.

"The dark side of the Force has clouded their vision. Hundreds of senators are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious."

Loraana does her best not to think of her own doubts in this moment. For years, she has been telling Master Yoda that something was stirring in the Republic, yet no one believed her. For years, she has foreseen death and destruction, but most dismissed her as being overly cautious. Dooku only confirms her suspicions.

"Together, we can destroy the Sith."

Loraana leans forward as far as her restraints will let her and forces a grin on her face. "It will be a cold day in hell when I turn against the Jedi," she snaps.

A small smirk plays on his lips. "Yet your mind betrays you."

Her heart skips a beat. "Excuse me?"

"Or, perhaps it is your heart." He tilts his head as he watches her. "You see, I've already had this discussion with your companion, and the first question from his lips was about your wellbeing. Now, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you two are close. Closer than Jedi ought to be, I suspect."