3.13

Warning: destructive thoughts

To be a Jedi is to be at peace, but neither Luke nor Alora can afford that luxury.

After so long kicking his ass, it seems almost unfair for Luke to suddenly be able to overpower Alora easily, though she knows it is only through his use of the Force and not his fighting. He still falters when he lunges, wobbles on his left foot, and leaves his side open too often to ignore, but just one brush with the Force, and Alora cannot bear to fight anymore.

In their search for Han, Leia had given Alora the order to keep training Luke, and Luke the order to train Alora. Luke is patient and understanding as a teacher, and even more attentive as a student. Alora is shit at both.

She no longer takes it easy on Luke, striking him hard and fast whenever she can. The boy went toe to toe with Darth Vader—she can up the difficulty. But her stubbornness makes her a terrible student. Any order Luke gives, she pushes back, and every lesson he teaches never makes it to her brain.

It has only been a week since both had been cleared to fight once more given their extensive injuries, but Alora has already lost hope. She still has a sour taste in her mouth since Lando had apologized profusely and practically begged forgiveness, not to mention her clear aversion to Jedi skills. Why should she be forced to do something she knows she can't?

The answer is simple: she can do it. She chooses not to.

It is no longer a question of ability. Alora had willed her sabers into her grasp on Bespin, and Luke had seen it. He had seen her skill with a lightsaber and seen the way she could sense the world around her. What she cannot quite grasp is that he also saw how much a simple recall had taken from her, yet he still insists on training her.

At first, he tried simple meditation, but Alora's mind had been too full. She could never sit down for even five minutes of complete silence to let her thoughts wander. It always ended with her storming out, unable to speak for a while afterward. Her mind would show her horrors she'd rather stay buried as if tempting her fear to take over, and she couldn't bear it. Not that she told Luke that; she had told him she couldn't stop thinking of the war and battle strategies to try out.

She wouldn't be surprised if he knew of her lie.

Then, Luke had tried surprise attacks. Jumping out from behind a corner or waiting in a dark room. It usually ended with her dagger pressed to his neck or an angry shout from Leia who usually got caught between them.

Leia.

Her princess had been extremely close as of late. They would spend unending amounts of time in each other's rooms, lounging on the bed as they discussed details of far-off battles or potential new bases. The only topic that was off-limits was Han—for both of them. Whenever the handsome scoundrel is brought up, Leia almost shuts down while Alora does her best to change the subject.