3.04

With the base shrouded in chaos, Alora somehow finds herself checking on Luke. She hopes the room is empty but isn't surprised to find him suiting up in his fighter uniform. Though she wants to step out the moment she enters, he notices her too quickly for her to slip away. "Alora," he says.

"Good, you're awake," she says with narrowed eyes. "Your squadron needs you."

He frowns as he takes a step forward. Without thinking, she steps back. "Look, I'm sorry—"

"Save it," she snaps. She doesn't want a half-assed apology. She doesn't want anything from him. She just wants to drop the act—she is not a teacher, and she is hopelessly outmatched when it comes to anything Jedi related. If he wants spiritual bullshit, he can find it elsewhere. "Just do your job, ok?"

His expression hardens as she spins on her heel. She makes it past the threshold before he shouts after her, "Where's the Dagobah system?"

As fast as she can, she shuts the door to the medical suite and pins Luke to the wall, her arm pressed against the base of his throat. "Never ask that question," she hisses even as her bones tremble in her skin. "You don't want to go there, trust me. It's hell for people like you and me."

"Jedi, you mean?"

"Are you trying to prove something? Get it through your thick skull. I am not a Jedi."

"Then why's Dagobah so bad?"

She shoves herself away from him, hoping he can't feel her fear. The bad memories of her time on that swamp planet far outweigh the good ones. "How do you even know about that planet?"

"Ben told me." He places his hands on his hips. "Said I needed to go and be trained by Yoda."

Maybe it's the frigid temperatures or just too much stress, but she can't find the strength to hide her disgust or even her terror. Yoda does not scare her, not by a long shot, but what he could do to Luke does. Yoda destroyed her spirit: the child she was deserved better than someone who could never be satisfied, who always pushed her to do more, to be more. Luke is just a kid—a naive, hopeful kid who found himself stuck in the middle of the biggest war in the galaxy.

His hard expression drops as he stares at her. "What?"

"Don't you ever mention him again."

"Why?"

Is she shaking because of the cold or is she shaking because of Yoda? "He's a shitty teacher, ok? Worse than me."

"You're not a bad teacher, Alora." Luke takes another step towards her, and she remains still. "But I have to train."

"Then you're already doomed."

"Why?"

As she looks at him—bright-eyed, hopeful Luke—she can't help but think of how she must have looked so long ago. Was she ever this hopeful? Was there a time when little Alora believed in the galaxy and the kindness of others? The only fate for someone as naive as Luke is to have that bubble popped. She had hoped he'd remain this way for longer. The Rebellion needs that hope. Alora needs that hope.