1.18

Obi-Wan can't go on much longer like this. It would be a blessing to hear news—any news—at this point. Even if it is a body, at least he'll know she's at peace instead of the vicious scenarios his mind threatens him with each night.

He isn't listening to Anakin anymore while he stares out of the large window in front of him in the senate building. The solstice approaches, and Obi-Wan can't help but stare at the tower in the distance where he and Loraa would spend time hidden away from their masters as children. It pains him too much to go near it but staring at it from this far away eases the cool hand gripping his heart.

Anakin stands beside him. He knows his young Padawan is worried; he can feel it festering around them. Anakin speaks of his own military victories to keep the mood a bit lighter as his eyes scan the senators walking around in front of him.

It is rare for a single senator to call an emergency meeting. No one knows exactly what will happen, which is why the council sent Obi-Wan and Anakin as neutral bystanders to whatever will unfold.

As Obi-Wan sighs and regretfully pulls his gaze from the distant tower to the action unfolding behind him, he watches as Bail Organa and Lorn Naftiri hurriedly make their way through the crowds. Lorn, as always, is one step ahead with a hand resting cautiously at his side on a concealed blaster he believes no one knows about. Bail makes them pause before the Jedi, offering a small smile before they continue to their seats.

"What was that about?" Anakin asks.

"Who knows?" Obi-Wan replies.

"Does Lorn realize we know he's armed?"

Obi-Wan shrugs. "Don't mock him. For all his faults, the man is the definition of loyal. I hear he's getting married after the solstice."

"Poor girl," Anakin snickers. "Come on, we should take our seats."

Something shifts in the air as they make their way to the compartment reserved for Jedi. Usually, at least one Jedi is sent to keep an eye on the Senate and the Chancellor, so having a compartment reserved always proves useful.

Settling down on a particularly stiff cushion, Obi-Wan surveys the crowd carefully. Many of the senators, though they would never admit it, are scared for this meeting. Perhaps they know something he does not.

A presence races for them. Obi-Wan glances at the door as a frantic Ahsoka rushes in, her eyes wide as she doubles over to pant.

"Snips? What's going on? When did you get back?" Anakin demands as he stands in front of her. "Where's Padmé?"

"Padmé?" Obi-Wan arches a brow.

Anakin rolls his eyes. "Ahsoka left with Padmé two weeks ago on some diplomatic mission."