ChloePOV: Angel Wings

Chloe wasn't sure what to think. Technically she hadn't seen Lucifer kill the guy. What she had seen was a human take one look at the Devil and wish for death. Even if Lucifer had been calling out for him to stop, even if the first words out of his mouth were "I couldn't stop him," Chloe just wasn't sure if she should blame Lucifer for this or not. Was he evil or, as he claimed, just the punisher of evil? Yes, the man who had just fallen to his death was a murderer, but did that mean it was okay?

"If I had my wings I could have stopped him!" Lucifer said next.

He seemed genuinely upset that the man was dead, but Chloe still had a funny feeling that it was something Lucifer had done that had pushed Renny over the edge.

"What happened?" Chloe asked. "Why did he jump?"

"He saw my wings," Lucifer said. "He sneaked a peek when his bosses weren't looking. When I showed him my face he figured out the wings were mine and became an apologetic mess, then he just- he jumped."

"Why did you show him your face?" Chloe asked.

"I was angry," Lucifer said in a small voice. "And it is often useful for getting information out of bad people."

"Is that what you did to the producer who killed your singer friend?" Chloe asked.

"The one who shot you? Yes, Detective," Lucifer said. "Seemed like a fitting punishment for such a person."

"That man is in a straight jacket 24/7 because he saw your face," Chloe said calmly. "And now I've just witnessed another man end his life for fear of you."

"As I've been saying all along, Detective, I am the Devil!" Lucifer said, his anger flaring up again. "Haven't you been listening?"

She had been listening, but she'd also been watching. Lucifer's behaviour made very little sense. He really was honest, and yet a mystery at the same time. The way he answered her questions was like he didn't know the answers himself. Lucifer cared more than he liked to admit to, and had saved her life twice. If he really was the Devil she had to see it, and if after all this she was right and there was some other explanation it would call his bluff.

"Show me then," Chloe said. "Show me your face."

"And risk you jumping off the roof as well," Lucifer scoffed. "No thanks."

"I won't jump off the roof," Chloe said, with a sigh. She had to resist rolling her eyes. That was not the worry here.

"This isn't some bluff you can call, Detective," Lucifer snapped back. "If I show you and you run-"

He didn't finish the sentence, but it wasn't hard for Chloe to see why. Lucifer was afraid though of what she hadn't a clue.

"You offered to show me before," Chloe reminded him.

"This has never happened before!" Lucifer snapped, gesturing toward where Renny had jumped.

There it was again. Fear. Simple honest fear etched in every line of his face. She supposed these things were possible to fake, but she sensed he wasn't. She didn't understand him. What could the Devil possibly be scared of? Still she knew he wasn't going to cave.

"The wings then," Chloe compromised.

"I already said you could see them when we get them back," Lucifer answered, though she sensed he was regretting this promise now.

"Alright then," Chloe replied.

There was silence for a while. Chloe watched the street. They could see it clearly from their vantage point on the roof. When her backup arrived and police cars started pulling up, Chloe was the first to notice. Lucifer just followed behind her silently.