LuciPOV: Devil's Day Job

"Hey, Detective," Lucifer called down to Chloe from the top of the building. "You need your roots done."

Their journey to find the patient who'd made the death threats had led them to said patient's attempt at death. Not exactly what he expected, but Lucifer was nothing if not flexible.

"I've made up my mind," Richard said. "You can't stop me."

"Oh no, I'm not here to stop you," Lucifer said, easily. "If you want to jump, go for it."

"Is this some kind of reverse psychology thing?" Richard asked.

"Nope, quite serious, go for it," Lucifer said.

"Okay. Here goes," Richard began, but Lucifer held out an arm to hold him back.

"Before you pop off," Lucifer said. "I do have a couple questions. You see, I'm trying to help her." He pointed down at the Detective. "Solve a murder so I'd like to know why you killed Dr. Shaw. Then you can do what you like with your immortal soul."

"What-" he began, but just then Richard lost his footing and almost began to fall to his death. Lucifer reached out and grabbed him.

"Manners!" Lucifer said. "Didn't I say you couldn't pop off until you answered my questions?"

For a man who had been about to end his life, the prospect of falling to his death didn't seem to sit well with him. "Okay okay just pull me back, please."

"Are you sure?" Lucifer said. "Cause I could just-" And he let go for a fraction of a second, before grabbing hold of Ricky firmly again.

"Pull me back up!" Ricky cried out and this time Lucifer obliged him. "Oh God."

"I'd save your breath if I were you," Lucifer sighed. "When it comes to this sort of thing, he's quite judgey. Right. As I was saying, Dr. Shaw, murdered by you, discuss."

"How could you say that?" Ricky asked. "I was about to jump because he'd dead."

"Don't fib, I know about your death threats."

"I was in a bad place," Richard explained. "But Dr. Shaw, he got me through bankruptcy, my divoice, the death of my parrot."

"Oh Ricky," Lucifer said, pitifully. "That's just sad."

"Aren't you supposed to tell me I have a lot to live for?" Richard asked.

"I don't think I need to actually," Lucifer said easily. "I know what it looks like when someone wants to die. There's a look in their eye, almost as dark as hell itself, and you don't have that look. Plus there's that whole begging to be pulled back to safety thing."

"So what you're saying is that I don't want to jump?" Richard said uncertainty.

"Well how am I supposed to know?" Lucifer replied. "It's your bloody life. Make what you will of it."

"You are supposed to talk me down!" Ricky cried.

"I wish I could but your life sounds horribly pleak," Lucifer added cheerfully. "Ironically, nowhere to go but up it seems."

"Maybe you're right," Richard said. "The worst is behind me."

"Yes, well, no time for your personal revelation I'm afraid," Lucifer grumbled. "Off you go, back downstairs. Chop, chop."

Richard got down from the ledge, and Lucifer gave Chloe a thumbs up before heading back down the stairs.

When they reached the ground, the paramedics immediately took Richard in, wrapped him in a towel, and made him sit in the ambulance.