ChloePOV: Protect You

Unlike the Devil, Chloe's ex-husband seemed perfectly able to accept that the car accident was no big deal. Lucifer, on the other hand, spent the rest of the day hovering around her like some kind of delusional bodyguard. He wouldn't give her a clear reason why, but he wouldn't leave either. Chloe knew something was going on and she suspected he planned to tell her, but for some reason Lucifer was putting it off.

The next day when she could drive again, Chloe hoped that would mean ditching her Devil shadow, but no such luck. Even as she moved into her new place, guess who was there? Lucifer. Though he seemed more like the peanut gallery, never helping, but always commenting.

Chloe felt sure this all had something to do with her car accident, even if Lucifer wasn't talking. Trixie was having trouble with it as well. Chloe tried to explain to her daughter that yes, her job was dangerous, but that didn't mean mommy wasn't coming home to read her a bedtime story tonight. Chloe knew her job was hard on her daughter, but what could she do? Being a working parent was hard, and that was life.

After dropping Trixie off at school, Chloe headed to the location of their next case with Lucifer in tow. The address she had was an old karate studio. Ella was giving her usual report when Lucifer beat her to the punch with the victim's name. Wesley, was a retired actor who, it seemed, had a fan in the Devil. Chloe would never understand the action movie genre. A bunch of people pretending to punch each other didn't count as entertainment in her books.

The victim had been killed with his own award and none of his valuables were taken. This wasn't a robbery. Chloe tried to continue her police work while Lucifer went on about how the antagonist from the movies must have been the killer. By far the worst part was when the Devil tried to take a selfie with the body. That was it for Chloe. She moved away to do her job and hoped for once that Lucifer would let her have a moment to herself. She was actually a little surprised when it worked.

By the time they finished up at the crime scene Lucifer still hadn't returned, so Chloe headed back to the precinct without him. It was all rather strange. After so long refusing to leave he was suddenly just gone. Then again, this is kinda how Chloe had always expected their partnership to end. He was, after all, an immortal angel and only vacationing here on earth. Chloe fully expected him to just leave one day without explanation.

Today was not that day. Chloe hadn't been back at the precinct for more than twenty minutes when Lucifer made an appearance.

"We need to talk," Lucifer said, the moment he appeared.

"Yeah, I know. Where did you go?" Chloe asked.

"Doesn't matter," Lucifer replied. "You are in danger, Detective."

"How many times do I have to tell you that it was an accident," Chloe sighed.

"But it wasn't," Lucifer said in a small voice. There was something in his face that made Chloe realize more was going on. There were too many people around. She directed him into the empty interrogation room and closed the door behind him.

"Okay talk," Chloe said. "How could you possibly know that it wasn't an accident?"

"My brother is here," Lucifer said. "And before you say that you knew that already I'm not talking about Amenadiel. Uriel is here."

"Wait, you've mentioned him before," Chloe said slowly. "Something about him giving welcome speeches in heaven."

"Yeah he's done that before too," Lucifer said. "But today he's here to give me an ultimatum. I have to deliver mother or he will-"

"Or he'll what?" Chloe asked. This really didn't make any sense, but Lucifer looked so worried Chloe couldn't help feeling like this was serious.

"He's here because I broke the deal with Dad," Lucifer said. "I didn't deliver on my end and Uriel is taking back His side."