ChloePOV: Devil May Care

Like the ungrateful Devil that he was, Lucifer had ditched Chloe, or rather ditched the paperwork part of the job, like he always did. Even though she was miffed, she also wasn't surprised. The Devil's mid life crisis of wanting to solve crimes was, in itself, more surprising than his dislike of paperwork. No one liked paperwork. Not even her. Chloe just knew that it had to be done.

She also knew that it was time for a break. Getting up and stretching her legs, Chloe went to refill her coffee. On her way back to her desk, Chloe caught sight of Ella in the lab. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to put off finishing the paperwork just a little longer. Ever since noticing the cross Ella wore around her neck, Chloe had wanted to ask her about her faith. Mostly due to the fact that Chloe now somehow found herself friends with the actual devil. She'd never really been religious before, but now that she knew about angels it all felt different to her. She wanted the perspective of someone who believed without the type of proof it had taken for Chloe to understand. Walking into the lab, Chloe greeted Ella.

"Hey, how's it coming?" Chloe asked, referring to her work on the crime scene evidence.

"Still trying to figure out these devil horns," Ella explained.

Chloe was starting to second guess her decision to ask Ella about her faith. Even Ella would probably think she was crazy. Chloe could just leave, but her curiosity got the better of her.

"Can I ask you a question?" Chloe inquired.

"Shoot," Ella said, without looking up from her microscope.

"If you knew one hundred percent that angels were real," Chloe began. "That the devil was real, what would you expect them to be like?"

"That's the thing," Ella replied easily, looking up from her work. "Faith is just as much about doubt as it is about belief. I can't know one hundred percent on anything. No one can."

"Hypothetically then," Chloe counted. "If you met an angel, what would you expect them to be like?"

"I can't say I've ever given it much thought," Ella answered. "Old, I guess, and powerful. Why do you ask?"

"No reason," Chloe replied, starting to regret asking the question.

"Is this about Lucifer's acting?" Ella asked, smiling.

"You caught me," Chloe said, trying not to sound fake.

"I'll admit he's good, but don't let him get in your head," Ella smiled at her. "Just cause he's gone full method actor doesn't mean he knows what the actual Devil would be like."

"What do you think of his portrayal of the devil?" Chloe asked next, realizing she should have started here to begin with. "Isn't the Devil supposed to be more evil than that?"

"I don't know," Ella began. "It always seemed to me like the devil got a bad rap. What did he really do that was so bad anyway? Rebel against dad? Ask some naked lady if she wanted an apple? There is that whole running hell thing which isn't so great."

"So what you're saying is that if you actually met the devil you wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't as bad as he's made out to be?" Chloe asked.

"I'm saying I don't know," Ella replied with a shrug. "What's with all the serious questions today? When you said, 'can I ask a question' I figured it would be 'what was it like moving to LA or 'how did you cope growing up with four brothers'?"

"Yeah, sorry," Chloe sighed. "I've just been thinking alot lately about... nevermind. Just forget I said anything." Chloe turned to leave, thinking she'd made a fool of herself.

"It's okay," Ella smiled at her. "I don't think you're crazy."

"Really? Cause sometimes I do." Chloe laughed a little.