ChloePOV: Red Paint

Despite her trying to focus on the crime scene, Chloe couldn't help thinking about how Lucifer had shown that preacher his real face. He'd also shown it to the producer who'd shot her, the guy who'd jumped off the roof, and he'd flashed his eyes at the spider who'd killed Father Frank. It was almost like he used it as a weapon. Now that she thought about it, it was actually quite alarming to see how often he used his devil face to mess with people. Bad people, but still. Chloe was used to the law deciding what bad people deserved, not a single man. Even if he was the Devil. It just felt wrong to her, that one individual could have that much say.

As much as this worried her, it was also almost comforting somehow to know she really wasn't the only human who knew. Then again, even with there being other humans who knew the devil was real, it seemed Chloe was the only one for whom that knowledge wasn't meant as a punishment. She still wanted to understand why he was so fixated on her. Why had the Devil made her a believer when the only other people he ever revealed himself to were all murderers, liars and thieves?

They'd found the kid by locating his car. It was parked outside the warehouse they were investigating now. The whole thing seemed like a bust until someone looked up. The first victim's boyfriend had been strung up to the ceiling at the center of a triangle. On his chest carved into his skin was a pentagram. It wasn't until back up was called and they got the body down and confirmed the identification that Chloe saw the red paint. Noticing that the shapes weren't random Chloe walked a little ways away and turned to read the word 'Morningstar' spelled out on old wooden boxes in bright red paint. This was bad, and it almost definitely had something to do with the Devil.

"Morningstar isn't exactly the most common name for the devil," Dan said. He was standing beside her, looking at the same red letters as her.

"You are going to have to trust me because I can't explain," Chloe began. "But this isn't our Lucifer."

It was strange how sure she was about this. Even knowing that Lucifer was the Devil, she couldn't believe him capable of such things. Lucifer had shown great power and willingness to hurt people who'd done something to earn it, but she'd never seen him so much as consider harming the innocent which both these victims were. Besides, even if she did believe him capable of something like this, why would a man powerful enough to crush metal with his bare hand bother to use a flimpy knife? To top it off, the Devil was the last person likely to do up a crime scene to worship himself. It simply made no sense that Lucifer could have done this, but that didn't mean he wasn't involved.

"How can you be so sure?" Dan asked. "He takes his Devil shtick pretty seriously."

"You have no idea," Chloe muttered under her breath. Then in a normal voice she continued. "Even so, the only way Lucifer is involved is indirectly. Someone might be trying to get his attention, or frame him, or even impress him."

"Even if it's only that, and I'm not saying I agree with you," Dan said. "It's still a conflict of interest. He shouldn't be here."

Chloe had to admit, Dan might be right, but if someone was trying to impress Lucifer or get his attention like she suspected, then wouldn't they end up tracking him down even if she sent Lucifer home?

"That won't help Dan," Chloe said. "If whoever did this is really doing it for Lucifer then we need him here to lure the killer out."

"Is it just me, Detective, or does that sound like you are planning to use me as bait?" Lucifer's voice cut into their conversation as he walked over.

"I have a theory," Chloe said. "But absolutely no proof."

"Well let's hear it then." Lucifer smiled at her.