ChloePOV: Devil's Birthday

"You have to come, Detective," Lucifer tried again to get her to go.

"Does the Devil even have a birthday?" Chloe asked. "I thought you said you'd lost track of how old you are?"

"Okay, yes, fair point. The Devil doesn't have a birthday, but I burned my wings," Lucifer said. "It's a re-born wingless type party."

"Yeah, sure, that makes sense," Chloe chuckled at him.

"Oh come on," Lucifer continued. "Just a few drinks with friends."

"Really?" Chloe inquired. "You're hosting a party at Lux and it's just a few friends?" She turned to give him a look. "Like come on."

"Fine, you very clever Detective," Lucifer gave in. "It's a party type party, but you should still come."

"And that's a no," Chloe said again.

"Spoil sport," Lucifer sulked.

"Besides, I have to go to Malcolm's welcome back party," Chloe replied.

"Ah yes, coma boy," Lucifer sighed. "You told me he'd woken up."

"Awake and claiming he's innocent," Chloe continued.

"We both know that's not true," Lucifer scoffed.

"Yes, but I still have to make nice," Chloe said. "And I was thinking of filling Dan in on what we know so far about the Palmetto case."

"Why does Detective Douche need to know?" Lucifer asked.

"Because looking for a dirty cop isn't easy," Chloe explained in a whisper. "It takes a team, and there is no one else I can trust."

"Well there's me," Lucifer smiled.

"Pardon me for wanting more than the Devil on my side," she replied.

"Don't underestimate the benefits of having the Devil on your side," Lucifer said in that way he did where it almost sounded like a purr, very husky and sexual.

"Having another cop on the team would help," Chole continued, ignoring him. "Besides he was the one who got me back on the case. I think he'll wanna help."

"Or, I could come with you to the welcome back party," Lucifer countered. "Then you wouldn't need Detective Douche."

"Goodnight, Lucifer," Chloe said by way of goodbye as she turned towards her car which they'd been standing beside while talking. She knew he had a car parked at the precinct but even if he hadn't, it wouldn't be the first time she'd driven away and left the Devil to find his own way home.

She had bigger things to worry about, like keeping her composure at this party tonight. She'd considered just not going, but being the only one who didn't show up would arouse suspicion and she needed to look like a team player.

Speaking of teams, it was probably time she got Dan up to speed on the 999 key Lucifer and her found at the Palmetto crime scene.

Getting out her phone, she called him. When he picked up she asked if he wanted to carpool to the welcome back party. He agreed though he seemed a bit surprised. When Dan arrived at her car she waited until he was seated in the passenger side before bringing up the topic.

"There is something I've been meaning to talk to you about," Chloe began.

"Okay," Dan said, clearly confused.

"At the living wake, before Malcolm woke up, I made that speech about how I was wrong and toasted to him being a good cop," Chloe continued.

"Yeah I remember," Dan replied.