LuciPOV: Devilish Deal

"Because he was worthy of his father's love," Lucifer told the murder. "And he had a chance at redemption until you ruined it."

Anne kicked a barrel at them and oil spilled out all over the floor. A split second later the oil was on fire and the entire restaurant with it. There was no way out. Oh how Lucifer hated being so weak! Usually he could just walk out of a problem like this without so much as getting his suit dirty. But now! Now he could feel the heat from the flames and he knew if he touched them, they would burn him.

"Lucifer if you have any ideas," Chloe told him. "Now's the time."

Sure he had ideas, but they all involved him being invulnerable! Then he realized something. It didn't matter if the fire burned him, so long as it didn't burn her.

"Cover your face, Detective," Lucifer said.

"What? Why?" Chloe asked.

"Oh, just do it," he added, frustrated. This was gonna hurt.

With the Detective's face protected from the sparks of the fire, Lucifer scooped her into his arms. He quite enjoyed the startled sound she made as she was lifted into the air, but no time for that. Lucifer walked forward to the exit and through the flames, feeling the heat more intensely than he had, even in hell. Using his legs, Lucifer kicked the door down and they both escaped into the cool night air.

"Put me down!" Chloe called and Lucifer obliged her now that it was safe to do so.

"I'm sorry, Detective, but there really was no other way," Lucifer explained.

He turned to face her then, carefully studying it for any signs of fear. He didn't usually get so close to her. Even if it had been to save her life, Lucifer didn't want that to cost him her trust. To his surprise though her eyes were clear of fear and rather focused on him, though not his face.

"Your arm," Chloe said, reaching towards him. Lucifer looked down. Most of the right side of his sleeve was gone and beneath it his skin had bubbled and was wicked hot.

"The Devil gets burned by fire," he sighed. "Irony at its finest, I dare say."

"I still don't understand why though," Chloe continued. "Why can you get hurt all of a sudden?"

"You're guess is as good as mine, Detective," Lucifer said cheerily.

The Detective shook her head in that way she did when she was kinda done with his shenanigans. Then she got out her phone and presumably called the fire department.

"Have you even tried to figure it out?" Chloe asked, while they were waiting. "Do you have any theories?"

"Always a detective, huh, Detective?" Lucifer chuckled.

"I'll take that as a no," Chloe sighed. "Doesn't it scare you that you are suddenly so different?"

"Sometimes," Lucifer said. "I'll admit it can be frustrating, but I prefer to think of it as exciting."

"You really have some strange priorities," Chloe chuckled at him.

"I suppose a mortal would think that," Lucifer replied easily.

"It's crazy that you aren't concerned," Chloe continued. "I mean if it was me I'd be trying everything I could to figure it out."

"If it satisfies your curiosity, Detective," Lucifer began easily. "I promise you will be the first to know if I do discover the reason for my sudden mortality."

"But how will you ever find out if you don't investigate?" Chloe asked.

"What do you suggest, Detective?" Lucifer asked.