LuciPOV: Darkness Show

"You want me to babysit the priest?" Lucifer asked.

"I babysit you all the time," Chloe replied with that smile she always had when she was making fun of him.

"The Devil doesn't need a babysitter!" Lucifer called back at her, but she was already in the penthouse elevator.

Oh he was gonna need a drink. Picking up one of the drinks he'd just poured for Father Frank, the Detective, and himself Lucifer downed it in one go. Such a pity he never felt the buzz. What was the point in being able to bleed if he couldn't get drunk?

With a sigh, Lucifer went to talk to Father Frank who was standing on his balcony looking out over the city. Despite all the evidence against Conner, Frank still believed in him, and in God too.

"Why don't you believe?" Father Frank asked.

"Because He didn't have faith in me," Lucifer explained.

"I felt that way once too," Father Frank replied. "But now I know deep in my heart God has a plan for me."

"Oh His plan for me was quite clear," Lucifer said, annoyed.

"How do you know it's finished?" Father Frank asked.

Lucifer didn't have anything to say to that. He was saved from having to come up with something when Father Frank took a phone call, and stepped out to answer it.

His father's plan, still unfinished? It was a concept Lucifer had never considered before. God casting him out of heaven forever to rule over hell had always felt like the end of his father's caring one way or the other about what happened to him. How could dooming Lucifer to be forever blamed for every mortal's sin for the rest of time be part of a bigger plan? Wasn't it just a punishment, simple and complete? Yes, that was it. After all, it had been thousands and thousands of years since his exile. How could the plan not be complete?

Feeling like he'd spent all together too much time with his own thoughts, Lucifer decided to see if Father Frank was done with his phone call. Finding him turned out to be trickier than he'd expected. When Lucifer went downstairs to see if Frank had joined the party at Lux, he noticed Chloe. He explained the situation to her, and together they looked for the priest.

"Maze, the priest, have you seen him?" Lucifer asked, leaning over the bar to speak to his bartender.

"Oh, so you're talking to me now?" Maze replied coolly.

Lucifer repeated his question but with more authority, and this time Maze answered.

"He was down here on his phone," Maze explained. "Heard him talking to someone named Connor."

"Do you know where he went?" Chloe asked Maze, but Maze just gave her a venomous look. Chloe backed up, looking a bit more afraid than he'd expected.

"Don't scare the Detective," Lucifer lectured his demon.

"If you don't want to scare people, don't tell them who we are!" Maze shot back.

"It's fine," Chloe said. "Right now we need to focus on Father Frank. Do you think he's trying to talk Connor into turning himself in."

"No. He's probably trying to hide the little miscreant," Lucifer replied. "Put his faith in God, not the police."

"Why do you care about a priest!?" Maze snapped at Lucifer.

"I don't," Lucifer replied at once. Because it was true. No matter what Chloe said, he hadn't befriended one of his father's people. It simply wasn't possible.

Chloe seemed to notice his quick reply, but she didn't say anything about it. Instead she asked him where Father Frank would go. Lucifer said it would have to be somewhere Father Frank considered safe. At the same time the two of them realized where that was. He considered the church a sanctuary.