LuciPOV: Brother

By the time Lucifer stopped fighting with Amenadiel, Chloe was gone. Instantly panicking, he ran after her... or at least he tried. Lucifer had gotten all the way to the precinct when he remembered that wasn't where Chloe was headed. Changing directions, he headed to Chloe's place. It wasn't until he parked the car that he remembered she'd moved.

Lucifer arrived at Chloe's new apartment feeling like he'd driven all over LA to get here. Oh how he wished he hadn't let Amenadiel get to him. If Lucifer hadn't gotten caught up in his brotherly drama then Chloe wouldn't have gone so long unprotected.

Feeling rather unworthy of her company, but determined to inflict his on her either way, Lucifer knocked on Chloe's door.

"If that's you Lucifer then you're early," Chloe called through the door. "I'm not in danger for like another twenty-four hours."

"Twenty hours actually," Lucifer called back through the door.

"Oh my god," Chloe groaned as the door opened.

"Yes he is the root of the problem here," Lucifer replied.

"You know what? No, he's not," Chloe snapped. "You are!"

Lucifer coiled back. He felt her words more than he'd felt his brother's fists a few hours ago. He had no idea how mere words could hurt so badly.

"I didn't ask to have the Devil take an interest in my life," Chloe continued, her voice full of anger. "I didn't ask for him to do stupid things to try and save my life! I don't want any of this! I am just a person, Lucifer. A regular person and I want a regular life without crazy powerful beings coming up from hell or down from heaven to ruin or take my life." She paused for a breath then continued. "The least you can do is let me have my last few hours in peace!"

Lucifer didn't have words to speak. He'd never in his life felt so small. With a slight bow of his head, Lucifer backed away. Upon returning to his car, Lucifer could feel his eyes pool with liquid. He blinked to try and clear his vision. Once he could see again, Lucifer started his car and headed home.

She was right. This was his fault and he had to fix it. There had to be a way to save them both. There just had to be. Lucifer refused to believe that it was just his mother's freedom or Chloe's life. That was unacceptable!

Just as the Detective pointed out at the start, Dad hadn't actually said anything. He'd simply shown Lucifer an open door and then the coin had taken him back to earth. Those were the facts. Everything else was open to interpretation.

Maybe that was it. Uriel didn't know what Dad wanted anymore than Lucifer did. All Lucifer had to do was make him see that too. Then again, with Uriel's power he probably already knew everything Lucifer was going to say. Still it was something to try at least. His only other option was to stay by Chloe's side for the foreseeable future trying to save her from an infinite amount of danger. Lucifer could see that working for a while, but not long enough.

Lucifer was drinking his third bourbon, when his mother walked into the penthouse. She said she was going to let Uriel take her back to hell. Lucifer didn't understand why until Maze appeared. This explained where Maze had run off to earlier today.

Maze wanted to protect Chloe. Lucifer did too, so he could appreciate that. Mother just felt it was her job to help Lucifer keep his deal, but they were both wrong. Lucifer couldn't help but vent a little at them. They thought they knew what Father wanted, but no one actually did! Not Amenadiel when he tried to get Lucifer back to hell, and not Uriel now. Not even the humans knew what God wanted, though that never stops them from fighting about it.

"Nobody bloody knows because the selfish bastard won't just tell us!" Lucifer yelled up at the heavens. "I'm sick of it!"

His mother tried to console him, calling him Lightbringer and Morningstar. Lucifer paid her no mind, until she started talking about Uriel as a child. He'd always been stubborn and Mother believed Uriel would not give up until he had her or the Detective.