LuciPOV: Heavenly Blade

Lucifer had taken out his phone automatically when he'd heard the chime, but once he'd seen who it was from he just stared. It was from the Detective. Chloe had reached out, despite his stubborn pride. What did this mean? Should he go back and see her now? Should he just text her back? Or maybe something else entirely.

After what felt like a very long pause, he decided to slow down and just start with texting her back.

Lucifer went to reply with 'I'm fine' but then realized that was a downright lie and deleted it. It was such a pain, all this honesty, but it was part of how he defined himself and he wasn't about to lose his sense of self on top of everything else he'd lost this week. That still didn't leave him with an honest way to answer her question.

He started pacing back and forth across his penthouse living room as he racked his brain for how to not open up and tell her how messed up he was.

If the doctor was here she'd have told him to just embrace the feelings, but Lucifer had fired her and he didn't wanna do it. He wanted to forget everything and get things back to normal. He wanted to solve a murder.

And just like that the answer came to him.

'I'm hoping we have a new case to solve,' Lucifer texted back. 'I could use the distraction.'

It was a bit of a curve ball from the true intention of her question but Lucifer hoped she didn't notice. To his delight she seemed not to. She told him they did have a case and where to meet her.

Lucifer breathed a sigh of relief. Not only was there a nice complicated murder to distract him, but he'd get to spend time with Chloe! Things were looking up.

Quickly choosing a suit and taking the elevator down to his car, Lucifer headed in Chloe's direction feeling better every moment he got closer to her. He decided not to think about why. He just focused on getting there.

Parking, Lucifer got out and walked over to the yellow crime scene tape he had become quite familiar with over the last year. Then he saw her.

"Detective," Lucifer said with a wave as he moved closer. He could feel some of the anxiety he'd been feeling constantly the last few days ease up as he got near her. It was like he could finally take a deep breath. He tried very hard not to show this as he casually greeted her.

"What have we got?" Lucifer asked.

"Not sure yet," Chloe replied. "I just got here. Dan's already at the scene."

"Ah so douche is on the case," he chuckled.

"Not funny Lucifer," the detective told him in that way she did when she thought he was being childish.

It was so nice to be near here again. Lucifer could hardly believe how much this woman's presence affected his mood, and he really didn't want to try and figure out the why of it. He was happy to enjoy the reality of it. Lucifer had missed her. He was walking silently beside her and very much enjoying her company when she spoke again.

"So I talked to Linda," Chloe said. "And I know why you fired her. What I don't know is why you haven't told her. She really wants to help you. She thinks of you like a friend."

"She does now," Lucifer said. "But once I tell her she'll just be scared of me."

"I know, and I'm still walking beside you," Chloe reminded him.

"Ah, but you saw my wings," Lucifer countered. "Which I don't have anymore. And I can't exactly show her that bullets don't work on me, since they now suddenly do."

"What about your devil face?" Chloe replied. "I know you still have that."

"Hence, the scared of me bit," Lucifer argued. "The last guy who saw it jumped off a building."