003

"Mum?" I look over from where I am, sitting on the couch and eating my morning cereal.

"Yes Max?" She asks. She's breastfeeding my baby sister. My baby sister has been here for two whole months and my mum and dad can't decide on a name for her yet.

"Can I join the scouts?"

"The scouts?" Mum thinks. "I think you're still too young,"

"Nuh uh! Liam in my class is in the scouts and he's still four!"

"I said no, Max,"

I lie down in my chair and cross my arms. "Fine,"

"How about this?" Mum offers when she sees that I'm upset. "You can join the scouts when you learn to read chapter books,"

"That'll take forever!" I whine.

"Not if you actually did your homework," Chris remarks. I blush and look down. Uh oh.

"Max? What does he mean by that?"

I look down but I know mum is looking at me.

"Nothing..."

"Max, are you lying?"

"Check his bag," Chris smirks. When mum looks away, Chris sneers at me. He mouths 'Take that, snitch'. Mum opens my bag and finds a note from my teacher today.

"Max, you lied! You told me you didn't have homework!"

I start playing with my fingers. "It wasn't on the board long enough to copy down,"

She gives me a more severe look. "We will talk about this after school,"

I nod. Uh oh.

After school, mum tells me "Dad will deal with you when he gets home. He's very disappointed Max. For now, it's bath time and then bed for you,"

"Noooo!" My bedtime is nine, but it's only three fifteen!

"Don't say no to me. Get to your bed," she turns me around and smacks me, making me run to the bathroom.

After my bath, mum puts me in some jammies and sends me to bed. Dinner isn't for hours now!

While I'm in bed, I hear Daddy come home. My tummy churns with nerves when I hear them talking outside my door.

"Max hasn't been doing his homework, I got a note from the school," I hear paper rustling as she shows it to him.

A moment of silence occurs and then I hear my doorknob turn slowly.

I sit up when Daddy comes in. He closes my door and lifts me down from my bed onto the floor. I look down at my the dinosaur feet on my footie pyjamas.

"Max, you know the rules," Dad explains. "You know what happens when you get a note home from school," I keep looking at the ground, not saying anything. Dad sighs. "You're going to get a spanking now,"

I back up against my drawers, whimpering. "I don't want one!"

"Max, get over here now young man,"

I'm compelled to obey. Dad's voice is scary sometimes. "Please! I don't want a spanking!"

Daddy grabs my arm and turns my back to him. "Why are you getting this spanking, Max?"

Because you're mean. "Because I-I didn't do my homework," i sniffle.

"That's right. You didn't do your homework for three days, so three times your age sounds about right,"

I squeeze my eyes shut, ready for the impact.