024

This is Gregory

I run into the living room where Mum and Dad are watching a movie. I'm staying at Gregory's house for the first time! I have my backpack with me. "Bye Mum, bye Dad!"

"Bye Max," says Dad, and he waves at me. Roxie manages to wave too! I think it's her first wave.

I run out to the car, where his Mum is waiting for us. His family seems so cool! Even if she smacks him too.

"Ready boys?"

We both nod. "What're we going to do?"

"Did your Mum give you any money, Max?" She asks.

"No," Mum doesn't really give us money.

"That's too bad, I was going to take you boys to play mini golf,"

The mini golf course in town is awesome! It has big dinosaurs that really roar! They're almost as tall as the building itself. I used to be scared of them but I'm not anymore. I think Gregory's mum notices his disappointed I am because she sighs a bit before smiling. "It's alright, don't you worry Max. We'll go to the mini golf course,"

"Yes!" Gregory and I cheer.

"Thanks Mum!"

We have a blast at mini golf for the whole day! His mum buys us a few rounds of playing and then we have ice cream. His Mum gets us some sweets for going back there, too.

It's kinda crap though, cause Gregory shares a bedroom with his older sister, who's 8. Her name's Becca and Gregory said she's a sweets thief! "Why does she steal them? Doesn't she get her own?"

"I don't know," he shrugs. "She steals jewellery too,"

"Woah," I stole a little plastic dog from nursery once.

Gregory's sister has lots of energy, but she seems nice. She likes pirates like we do, so we watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates. We even share our sweets with Becca.

"Why didn't you have any money for today?" Gregory asks me between episodes.

"I don't know," I admit.

"D'you not get pocket money?"

"No,"

"You must be really poor, then,"

That's the first thing I ask when I get home. "Mum? Are we poor?"

"We don't have as much money as Gregory," Mum shrugs. "Why?"

"Well... why don't I get pocket money?"

"You're too young for pocket money," Dad laughs. "What would you even buy?"

"But I want pocket money! Gregory gets pocket money!" It isn't fair! Why can't I have some too?

"Gregory has to save up his pocket money and get his own toys. We buy your toys so you don't need pocket money," Mum explains.

But Greg gets to buy when he wants. It's still not fair! So, I hatch a plan. I go up to Chris' room and knock the door.

"Go away, Max!"

"I have a question,"

"I don't care," he doesn't take his eyes off his game. I just stand in front of it.  "Hey! Get away!"

"If you push me, I'll tell!"

"Ugh," he puts his controller down. "What is it then?"

"Have you ever stolen?"

"Ah-What??" He looks around.

"I want pocket money but Mum and Dad won't give me any. So I'm going to steal it,"