020

Greg is coming over to my house today! It's the last weekend before we have to go and do school shopping - bleh!

It's sunny and we have so much energy! But Mum is at one of Chris' friends' with him and Dad has to take care of Roxie so he can't take us to the park.

"It's only across the street! Please!" We beg.

"You can play in the garden, Max. Now let Roxie have her nap, you'd better not wake her," he frowns. "Go on, out to the garden,"

Out in the garden, Greg kicks over our spade. "Do you want to play on the trampoline?"

"No," he looks angry. "Let's go to the park

"We're not allowed,"

"Your Dad's with your sister. He isn't gonna notice if we're back soon,"

"Are you sure?" I really do want to go to the park. And it's just across the street, we should be back really soon. "Okay,"

We sneak by the side of the house and to the park. "Let's play!"

"Nah, this is boring too. Have you ever been in there?" He points to the woods.

"No,"

"I bet there's something fun in there, you know..." he grins at me. Before I know it, he's walking towards the entrance to the woods. I follow him nervously, looking over my shoulder again and again for Dad. It'd be better if he found us now. I might just get corner time. If he finds out I was in the forest...

We walk until we find a small clearing. There are some chairs surrounded by empty booze cans and crisp packets.

"Look, this is like our own place!" Greg jumps on one of the chairs and pets the one beside him. "C'mon, sit,"

The chair looks coo, and Greg does too. I take a seat beside him and swing my legs. It'd a little dark, but not like it's scary. It's like we're spies! Hiding out in the bushes and watching the uninformed idiots about to get attacked by the ninja terrorist killer assassins!

"I know lots of brilliant places like this," Greg tells me.

"What do you even do?"

"Just sit an' talk to your mates,"

So we sit and talk for a while. The sun doesn't seem to change, it doesn't feel like much time has passed. "We should go home before Dad notices,"

"Okay," we get up and walk back to the park. It's all quiet, so it should be okay. They'd be here looking for us if they knew we left. We sneak through the park and just make it onto the pavement by my house. But as soon as we do, Greg's parents turn the corner onto our street.

"Hi boys," Greg's mum puts the car window down. "Ready to go home, Greg?"

At this moment, Dad comes running out the garden. He must have just noticed we weren't there! "Boys!" he runs over. "Where were you?!"

Greg's mum looks confused. "What's up? What happened?"

"I told them to stay in the garden, but they ran away!" Dad grabs my arm.

"Ow!"

"Where were you?!"

"We just went to the park!" Gregory lies.

"Oh no you didn't," Dad shakes his head. "If you were at the park, I'd have seen you,"

"It's alright, let's go inside and figure this out," Gregory' mum decides. She gets out the car and we all sit in my living room, Gregory on his mum's knee and me in Dad's arms.