031

Christmas is coming! Cartoon Network has been helping me count down the days. There are only nine days left! But school hasn't finished yet... stupid school. Don't they know Christmas is coming? We shouldn't have to do schoolwork this close to Santa's birthday.

When I get home from school, I kneel. The table to do my homework. "No need do that Max. I'll write you and Chris a note,"

"I don't have to do homework?"

"Nope," Dad grins. "John phoned. We're going out for dinner with your cousins,"

Awesome! John is Dad's brother and he has two kids. Alfie is seven and Keira is ten! I love my cousins. Alfie gets into trouble a lot, he's bad. I think Keira gets into trouble too. But John is REALLY strict. He's not like Dad.

"Chris!" Dad shouts up to him. "Go and get changed, wear your smart clothes!"

We get smart clothes every time we grow so we have them for Christmas and birthday parties. Dad comes up with me to help me dress in them.

"Isn't my school uniform smarter than that?" I ask. My school shirt has a tie and this outfit doesn't.

"Yeah, but you don't want to wear your school uniform! Your smart trousers are blue, that's your favourite colour,"

"I guess,"

Max

Once I'm dressed in my smart clothes, I go into Mum's room

Once I'm dressed in my smart clothes, I go into Mum's room. She's doing her hair. She's wearing a dress, and I never see her wear dresses!

"Hi Max," she looks at herself in the mirror.

"Can you brush my hair next?" I sit beside her on the bed.

"Yeah Max. Can you talk to Roxie while I do this?"

She's sitting in her baby chair beside the bed. Why should I talk to her when she can't even talk back?

"Hi Roxie,"

She looks up at me, and she smiles. Playing with her toys, she's blindly ignoring me.

Mum brushes my hair next, then she starts on her makeup. I play with my action men while she does.

"Come on Sally," Dad checks his phone. "They're expecting us!"

"Oh it won't matter if we're late,"

"John will mention it! He always guilts me like that,"

"Why're you guilty Dad?" I ask him. He's always uncomfortable around his brother.

"Oh, when your Dad was your age-" Mum starts laughing.

"It's. It funny!"

"Yes it is! Anyhow, when your Dad was your age, John was making fun of him. So, he got a pool cue and stuck it in John's eye!"