007

How're you all enjoying the story?

Dad chases me down the corridor. "Max!"

It's past my bedtime but I'm not going to bed! It's a Saturday and it's not fair that my bedtime isn't later at the weekend when Chris' is.

So I run off. But Dad's legs are longer than and he catches me easily. "Bedtime young man," he picks me up and throws me other his shoulder.

"N-No!" I wriggle and kick.

SMACK SMACK

Dad smacks my bum while I hang over his shoulder, upset. "Ouch!"

"Do you want to go to bed with a sore arse Max?"

"No!" I cry and kick more.

Dad sets me down to get my jammies on but I turn and start to take off again. He grabs my arm to stop me and takes off my jeans and pants.

SLAP

I whimper. "Ow Dad..." I cover my bum.

Dad gets me into my Minecraft jammies. I say they're mine, they were Chris' first. I don't even like games. Dad helps me into my bed instead of me having to climb up. I look down at my hands and sniffle.

"No story tonight Max. You've been very naughty tonight,"

"No!" I scream and start kicking. "I want a story!"

From the other end of the corridor, my baby sister starts crying. I freeze. Uh oh.

"That's it Max," Daddy crosses his arms. "You woke up the baby. Your weekends are cancelled for the next six months! You can spend that time helping your mother take care of the baby," 

"What?!" I feel tears appear in my eyes. Through them, I see Daddy's gaze soften.

"Oh Max, I know you're sleepy buddy. But that isn't an excuse for any of this behaviour. You should have went to bed on time and you wouldn't have been tired,"

I nod. "Im sorry Dad. But please can I have a story," I give him puppy eyes. "They help me sleep!"

"One," Daddy opens one of my storybooks from the shelf.

I don't make it to the third page before sleep overcomes my determination to stay awake.