025

Dad's POV

When my wife told me Max stole from her purse, I was heartbroken. That's the kind of thing I expect from Chris. Not from my angel. "It was definitely Max?"

"Chris admitted to telling him where my purse was," Sally confirms. I bite my lip, and realise I'll have to bite the bullet soon too. Neither of us are angry, but we just can't face him right now. I can't not punish him. But neither of us have the motivation to. When he gets home, I barely even register his crying. I just drag him up and throw him in his room - which I feel bad about! 

Sally and I talk about things for a bit longer, we have a cup of tea and calm down. "I-I'll start dinner," she looks at the clock.  Wow, we've been talking for a long time.  

"I'll go and get the boys," 

I knock on Chris' door and tell him to downstairs, then go to fetch Max. When he see him, my heart breaks all over again. He's huddled in the corner of his bed, clinging onto his stuffed animal for dear life.  And he's crying, silently. His pillow is so soaked, he can't sleep on it tonight.  

"Max, hey mate," I sit on his bed. This thing used to be Chris', the Spiderman stickers are still on the bedframe. Will this collapse if I sit here for too long? I rub his back. "There's no need for crying, come on. It's dinner time," 

"Nooo," Max buries more into his pillow. "I'm in trouble!" 

"We can talk about it later, come on," 

 I carry him downstairs and he sits on my lap while we wait for dinner. He calms down, and we have pizza. We don't turn the telly on though, he is still in trouble. When we're finished eating, Sally hugs Max on her knee. 

 "I'm sorry Mum," he whines. Chris snorts, and I tell him to go upstairs. I don't want him making Max feel any worse than he already does. 

"I know you're sorry, Max," 

"Do I hafta get punished?" he asks. My son is so cute, my god. 

"Yes," I answer quickly. "We know you're sorry, but stealing is really serious. Why did you do that?" 

"Because I wanted to go to the shop like the other kids do... and have my own money as well," 

"We can work on giving you pocket money," I sigh. "Give your Mum back the money,"  He hands over a fistful of coins and notes from his pocket.  

"How much did he spend?" I look into Sally's hand. 

"There was £23.50 missing,"  

She counts it out and there's 35 pence missing. "Right, that's thirty-five smacks then," 

"What?! No!" Max starts fighting and Sally holds him still.

"No Max, you took thirty-five pence from your Mum and you deserve thirty-five smacks," I explain to him. I want him to know why he's getting the punishment he is, but teaching that lesson doesn't work when he's having a tantrum. Sally stands him in front of her and slaps him across his school trousers.  

"Stop that!" 

His eyes widen and he stops wriggling, letting out just one scared sob. I look at Sally, and we have a silent conversation wondering who will spank him. She too sad to, so I bring him over to me.

 "I never want to hear about you stealing from people again. You're getting in so much trouble for it because stealing is something adults get in trouble for too. Do you know wat happens when you steal as an adult?"

"The police come and take you away?!" 

"That's right. Max, what you've done is something we'd never expect from you,"