028

There will be discussions of racism in this chapter.

"You're going to be so handsome at your school disco," Mum says.

"T-thanks you." I blush.

It's the school Halloween disco tonight! We're all dressing up and I'm a vampire! I have my makeup on and my cape too. Dad even did my hair. Jemima is going as a fairy. Her parents are taking me.

"Here's fifty pence for some food and remember to get something to drink," Dad reminds me.

"Yeah I know,"

From outside, Mr Johnson's car horn beeps.

"That'll be them," Mum kisses my cheek. "Have fun,"

I go out to Mr Johnson's car. I'm going to do something fun and dangerous. I'm not going to wear a seatbelt! I just won't say anything and her parents will never notice.

"Hey, I'm going to-" I start to tell Jemima about it but she cuts me off.

"You have to wear a seatbelt!" Jemima says.

Tattletale. I huff and put my seatbelt on. But on the way, I realise nobody is paying attention to me. And it's dark, so they won't see me right away... I pull off my seatbelt.

It's fine until we stop and the light comes on. I

"Mum! Dad!" Jemima shouts. "Max don't have his seatbelt on!"

Even bigger tattletale!

"You weren't supposed to tell!"

"Max!" Mrs Johnson turns around.  "Were you not wearing your seatbelt?"

"I-"

"Max!" Mr Johnson shouts. "It is a yes or a no!"

"N-No,"

"You could have been killed!" He starts scolding me. He's really strict. I just sit here and listen to his lecture. But he's talking so fast and angrily, I can't understand him. Jemima looks sad too. Then he asks me a question.

"How far have we driven since you took your seatbelt off?"

"Ummm I don't know," I know the car drives in miles but I don't know what those are. "It was at the zig-zag!"

That's the road that goes onto the Main Street. It's in the shape of a zig-zag so that's what we all call it. It's fun but scary to cycle down. Don't tell anyone I've cycled down it!

"We turned three corners after that! You could have been hit at any one of them!" Mr Johnson continues. "I will be calling your parents immediately,"

I look down. Mum and Dad are going to be angry with me.

"Go into the dance, go on," he comes out to get us. We need him to open the lock because of the child-lock. He opens the door for us. Jemima jumps out and I go after her. 

SMACK!

He smacks me as I'm getting out. It hurts so much I jump forward. I almost fall! So much for 'could've got hurt'.

"Jemima, go inside. We will collect you at nine," she kisses her parents goodbye. I stand beside Mr Johnson while he phoned my parents.

Dad sounds really angry and shouty. But I can't hear what he's saying. At least I don't have to talk to him. I don't want to be shouted at!

"Yes my friend, understood," Mr Johnson ends the call.

"Come with me," Mr Johnson grabs my hand. He takes me around to the path where it's quiet. "Your father told me you are in big trouble when you get home!"