016

It's the day of my first scouts meeting and I'm so nervous! My new uniform is all ironed and pressed. Mum says I look very grown up in it. Chris said I look like a cucumber prick because it's green. I don't know what that means, but I know he's being a bully.

My sticker chart was made by Mum and Dad, so it's just for me. I like it. I haven't gotten any stars for 'Hair washing without crying' yet but I'm working on it. Otherwise, my behaviour has been perfect this week. I just have to get through tonight without breaking any rules.

"Max, do you need to pee before we go to scouts?" Dad asks.

"No Dad,"

"It's forty minutes in the car, are you sure?"

"Yeah I nod.

"Alright. I'm taking Roxie to the neighbour's. I'll be five minutes, Chris is upstairs,"

"Okay,"

The longer Dad is away, the more I have to pee. But I can't go to the toilet cause then he'll know I actually did need to pee!  I need a plan - and fast! I run behind the plant pot by the TV and do my business. It's like water, it'll dry! He won't find out... 

Dad drives me to the Scout Hall. It's a big stone building that also has knitting club and a pool table and the Youth Group and stuff in all the different rooms. I'm so excited! After being introduced to the Scout Captain, Dad leaves.  

I find a spot and someone is assigned to be my scout buddy. He's six, and his name is Gregory. "What team d'you support?" he asks me. 

"Ah, boys," the scout master stops us. "We have a no football talk policy here," 

"Sorry," Gregory mutters. 

"You know better than that. You're supposed to be teaching Max, remember?"

"Yeeeeah" 

"Good. Now, we're going to play parachutes," 

There's a cheer all round from the other kids, so I cheer too.  Parachutes sound fun. 

We sit in a circle, I sit beside Gregory. The others bring a big parachute out and drape it across the floor. It's the size of the whole hall! When we all throw it up in the air and crawl underneath, it falls on us. It's like we're in a multicoloured cave of wonders! The whole world is colourful. 

Parachute time was awesome! I love parachutes, and I want one. 

Then we learned the scout salute, which is a promise for us to say. Ours is the Beavers scout salute, because Beavers are scouts aged between six and eight, which is us. I get a sash to put my badges on when I get them, and a badge book to record my progress. The scout master said that next week we can build a tent! I don't want to go home by the time it ends. 

"Hi Dad!" I smile when he gets here to pick me up. 

"Hi Max," he nods to me. "Did you have fun?" 

"Yes Dad!" 

"That's good," Dad pats my shoulder. 

"Max had a great time," the scout  master tells him. "Will we see him again next week?"

I look up. "Pleeeease Dad?" 

 He nods after a moment. "Yes, that'll be fine," 

"Thank you!" I hug him. 

"Let's go Max," he leads me downstairs by my shoulder. 

"So Max," he begins when we start driving. "The TV wasn't working,"