047

Back to the main story!

Mum's parents' house is one storey, like a bungalow. But it doesn't have any walls around the front, it has pillars, and the walls are around a smaller room at the back. Mum says its because the weather an climate here means they don't need walls except at night, because they don't get much wind and the trees protect the house. On the bus ride to Mum's family home, we saw a lot of long, colourful dresses in the shop window. They had sparkles on them, and were really flowy. Mum said she was going to get one for bringing home, but Dad laughed at her about it.

"Aren't those Sarees?" he asked. Mum didn't look impressed about it.

Mum's sister's name is Sofia. I lover her hair, and she smiles really big. She wears colourful makeup. She's younger than Mum and her son, Jayden, is only four. I'm six! I can't play with four year olds. We don't speak the same language anyway, he speaks Hispanic. We don't learn Spanish OR Hispanic in my school, we just learn French. Chris knows some Spanish though.

Mum and Sofia talk a lot in Hispanic. I only brought one book, and I'm really bored. I can't understand the telly. Chris is on his phone ignoring me.

"Muuuum, I'm bored," I stomp over and tug on her skirt. "There's nothing to do!"

"Go and play with your cousin,"

"Ugh, fiiiine,"

I go over to Jayden and sit beside him. He looks up from the TV and looks at me. I ignore him and look into the trees. They're so thick, I can barely see the road for them. They're like a jungle, and I'm the explorer. When I turn back, Jayden is still looking at me. I point to the trees. He shakes his head.

"Come oooon, let's go," I take his hand and lead him to them. Mum and her sister are busy, and Dad's away swimming. Chris isn't paying attention like always. We sneak into past the treeline and everything turns dark and green! I've never seen leaves this big.

I thin I hear a lose and go to investigate. Jayden calls on me but I don't know what he's saying. "Come on!" I gesture for him to follow me and we go deeper in.

It gets darker, then we hear some rustling and shouting in Hispanic. Jayden turns around and blinks a few times. Then -

"BOYS!"

That's Mum's voice. Jayden and I can't speak the same language but when we look at each other, we know we're in a lot of trouble.

Mum and Sofia appear through the trees. Mum grabs my hand. "Wee going right back to that house and you're in big trouble!"

I start crying out of fear as Mum drags me back to the house. I hear Sofia dragging Jayden back too, and him crying the same. When we get there, Dad shakes his head. "We've had this issue before Max. When are you going to learn you can't run away from us!"

"I-I'm sorry!" I cry. Mum hops on one foot taking her sandal off and Sofia does the same.

"N-No, Mum!" I hate getting the slipper. Or in this case, the sandal! Mum holds me up by the arm.

"You never run away like that! We've told you before,"

SMACK

SMACK

SMACK

"Ah-ow!" I jump and stamp my feet crying.  I hear Jayden doing the same. The slipper goes thud! And I hate it.

SMACK

SMACK

SMACK

"I'm sorry son, but you can't wander off! Especially here, you don't know where anywhere is!" She shakes her head. "When are you going to learn not to keep repeating the same behaviours?!"

I cry and rub my butt, but I also don't know how to answer that question. Questions parents ask you never have proper answers.  So I don't know why, but I start crying even more and I just can't stop.

"Hey mate, it's alright," Dad sits me on his knee and cuddles me. "Let's just enjoy the holiday, eh? And not get into anymore mischief,"

"A-Alright Dad,"

The rest of the holiday is great! We take a boat out to a little sand island in the sea, where they have a pirate show! We get a picture of me with the pirates, I even get to hold one of their swords!

On our last night, we go into the town to do some shopping. Mum and Dad gave Chris and I £40 worth of Dominican pesos each an an extra £40 worth to get something for Roxie. The town is really pretty, with bright shops that are still open even after it gets dark!

We go to this amazing ice cream car that does caramel ice cream dipped in chocolate. The chocolate sauce cools and hardens when the ice cream touches it, so I get a cool chocolate shell. We pick a stuffed dog for Roxie and I get one as well. Mines is a bulldog! I like bulldogs.

We find a shop that has lots of cool toys. On the floor I see a remote-controlled truck! It has light up wheels and can do all kinds of spinny tricks. But of course, its £40 and I already got the ice cream and stuffed dog!

"Chris, can you get this will me? I'll share it with you?"

"Why the bloody hell would I want a toy like that?" he scoffs.

"Because - watch!" me and the shop assistant show him all the cool tricks it can do. He actually looks kind of impressed.

"Alright, that's actually class," he looks at me. "But I get it whenever I want it, deal?"

"For the first month!"

"Fine,"

Dad chuckles. "You're a shrewd haggler, son," I don't know what that means.

We go to a weird disco thing that doesn't have any other kids. One of the things I hate about grown ups parties is that we're usually the only kids there! Even on holiday. And everyone gives us bad looks because they think the baby is going to cry and scream. But Roxie doesn't really do that.

I do get to try out my new remote controlled truck in the friend ups disco though. The lights are super bright and pretty!