041

Sally POV

Ever since Max watched Aladdin last month, he's been obsessed with it. We got him a purple waistcoat and everything, and he wears it without a top under it every chance he gets. I don't have a problem with him having a 'thing' - all kids have a thing, Chris' was Spider-Man, he wore the costume all the time - but ever since he saw it, he's been asking if he can be a 'street kid' like Aladdin.

I tried to explain to him that it's just a film, and that being homeless and living on the streets is actually horrible. He actually seems like he'd be one of those American people who buys a cabin in the woods when he grows up and collects his own rainwater. If that's the case, good for him. I very well might move away from society with him. But for now, I can't have my son thinking that way. Anything could happen.

Max POV

That's it! I've had it with stupid school and stupid Chris. I'm going to run away and be a street kid like Aladdin is. I wish I could take Roxie with me, but I don't know how to make nappies from leaves. And she won't fit in my backpack.

I asked Mum again last night if I could be a street kid, but she said no. She says it's dangerous and that I need to stay at home. But what does she know? Nothing. That's what. But being almost 7, I know most things now. Except how to ride a skateboard.

I get my blanket to make a knapsack like the old travellers from movies. I tie the corners up so it makes the bag. I know I should take food, so I fill it up. Aladdin always wears the same thing, so so will I do I don't have to take clothes. I take my wallet that has 83 pence in it, I can get some food with that. Fudge bars are only 40 pence.

Sally's POV

Bill told me the moment I realised Max wasn't in the park across the street that it's fine. He's exploring the forest again, and Bill would take care of it. But he came back, now with eyes as wide as mine. I check the kitchen, lots of Max's snacks are gone. The shirt he was wearing earlier isn't here. But his purple waistcoat is gone.

"He's ran away!" I run upstairs and open Chris' door (I'm supposed to knock, but in my panic-). "Your brother's ran away. Come on, we need to go and find him,"

"He'll be in the woods," Chris doesn't take his eyes off his game. So I too off his headphones and grab his arm.

"He isn't. Come on, we're going,"

We walk around the neighbourhood. I don't know how long we do this for, but when it starts to get dark, I can't keep my tears in anymore. "We need to phone the police..." I can barely sob out.

"Let's get everyone looking first. We don't have to call the police yet," Bill says. I trust him.

Soon, we see Gregory's mum's car from across the park. I wave to them and they flash their headlights. They must be looking around the streets.

Just as they make a U-turn, my phone goes off. Jemima's mum. I pick it up quickly.

"Hello?"

"Your son is here,"

My heart might as well have exploded from my rib cage. "What?!"

"We found him hiding under our daughter's bed. Please come and collect him,"

Bill and I get in the car and driver faster than we ever have around this town. He was hiding hiding under her bed?! What did he think would happen?! Not to mention... Max has never went to Jemima's house on his own before!

We get there and Max is curled up on the couch. His hair is messy and greasy and his outfit is dirty. Mud sticks to his shoes. I run over to him and pull him into my arms. He cries and cuddles back. "Max, you scared us so much!" I kiss his cheek, over and over. I'm just so relieved he's okay!

I'm also kind of impressed he remembers the way to Jemima's house and was able to walk this far.

Once I'm done crying over my reunion, I break the hug and hold Max's shoulders at arms length.

"You're in so much trouble when we get home!"

He lowers his head. My son knows he messed up bad.

When we get home, Bill and I sit on the couch and stand Max in front of us. We go through the usual grilling questions and lecture. Then I remember to ask, "Why were you hiding under Jemima's bed?"

"Cause I didn' want to run away without her!" he looks down. "I'd miss her too much,"

"Well," Bill and I look at each other and try to hide our smiles. "What you did was very naughty Max!"

"I know, I'm sorry,"

"You aren't sorry yet," Bill sighs and pats his knee. "Come on, over. Then you can have a bath and get to bed,"

Max gets over his Dad's knee. His head falls into my lap and I run my hand through his long hair. Reaching down, I gently hold his hand.

Bill pulls his trousers and pants down and without warning -

SMACK

"You could've gotten badly hurt! What if a car hadn't seen you?"

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK

"You know you're allowed to go to the park across the street and no further,"

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK

My son starts crying and kicking. All I want to do is scoop him up and cuddle him! Tell him everything is okay. But I need to let him be punished. What he did really scared us. He's been getting reckless with his behaviour and it's dangerous now. Hs running away! His safety is worth a few smacks on the bottom.

SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK

Bill stops and stands him up. I pull him onto my arms and kiss his head, rubbing circles on his back until he calms down. "You're grounded for the next week. And maybe we'll be rethinking letting you watch Aladdin,"

"No! I won't run away again!"

"You'd better not," that was a lie, we won't take his film away. "Now get upstairs, I'll be up to run your bath in a minute."

He runs upstairs. Looking at my husband, my heart swells with love. "Does your hand hurt?"

"Yeah," he flexes it, his palm is red.

"You're a good father. Even if you make some mistakes,"

Bill nods. "Thank you, Sally,"