038

Roxie is 21 months old now, and she still isn't talking. Mum and Dad are worried, I can tell. Even though they pretend they aren't. And they've been talking to Roxie a lot more than they've been talking to me! I know she's a baby and she needs lots of attention but it isn't fair! I don't blame Roxie. I blame Mum and Dad for being too stupid to teach her how to talk.

It's Wednesday, and that means my scout meeting with the Beaver scouts is today. It love going to the scouts! And we're going to get our birdwatching badge today, because they said a special guest is coming in to teach us how to spot birds. The weather is still too crap (yes, CRAP! I can say that. Crap crap crap!) to go outside for the day and watch birds. So we're getting our badge by learning how to do it instead. And we can actually do it later in the year.

I like birds, so I'm really excited for our meeting tonight!

"Dad!" I pull on his shirt while he's making dinner. "Is my scout uniform ready yet?"

"Oh! Sorry son. I knew there was something I forgot," he quickly leaves the pot boiling to put it in the washing machine and turn it on.

"Dad!" I whine.

"Don't worry, it'll be ready,"

"But the meeting is tonight!"

"I'll stick it in the dryer after it's washed. Go and put the telly on,"

We're watching Roxie's baby programs tonight. And Mum spends all of dinner talking to her and playing with her on the floor. That's okay. Once I'm finished, I kneel down to play with her too. I teach her how to use a sticker book, and how to stick the stickers properly on the animals faces in the farm scene.

The next time I look up, it's dark. The streetlights are one. "Dad!" I run into the kitchen, where he's doing the washing up. "What time is it? We need to go to scouts!"

"Oh!" He quickly checks his phone. "Shit... sorry, Max. It started already. I lost track of time,"

"Can we go now?!"

"I don't think so. Shit, I'll call your scout master and tell them,"

"But I want to go!"

"By the time we get there, they'll be no point," he sighs. "I'm really sorry. But we have a family outing on the weekend! That'll make up for it. You'll have a blast,"

I stamp my feet. I'm so angry! I reminded Dad and it was important! I get in trouble when I forget something important and he doesn't even care! "No! Y-You're stupid!"

I run upstairs and slam my door. I don't care what Mum and Dad say. They forgot. We always go on a Wednesday! Dad forgot because he was so busy and Mum forgot because we were playing with Roxie. It's not fair that she gets all the attention now.

I put myself to bed tonight. I get in my jammies and get in my bed. I can get them on myself now. Mum knocks on the door and asks if  want a story, but I say no! I do, but I can read my own. It doesn't matter if some of the words are too hard. I know what's happening in the story.

The weekend comes, and it's time for the family outing. We're going up North to a castle. Castles are really cool! But on the inside they're boring. Just a lot of reading and paintings. I like reading, but I don't like reading about every dead person in history and how they all wanted the stuff in a castle. If I was a person from history, I wouldn't care about a smelly old castle.