029

Chris' POV.

Dad's taking me fishing today. I've only ever been fishing once, and I fell in. He said he wanted an activity that we could do together, but this ain't it man. Mum is teaching Max how to sew, which she says is a skill he has to learn. Bloody girl's skill. You wouldn't catch me doing that.

"Alright, gayboy," I smirk at him from the door. It's so fun to wind him up. His face goes all red and he gets so offended. I don't mean anything by it. Not my fault if he takes it the wrong way.

"Go away," he sticks his tongue out. "I'm concentratin'!"

"Pfft, bloody poof," I turn to go out with Dad.  Thankfully, he never heard that.

I get in the car and we get going. I look around, but there's nothing here for fishing.

"Where's the bait an' the rods an' that?"

"We don't need any of that," Dad grins and starts driving. "Cause we aren't going fishing,"

"We're not?" The bugger tricked me!

"Nope," he's still smiling. Sly bugger.

"So where are we going?"

"That's a surprise! I'm not going to ruin it now,"

I realise that we're approaching the main city. I wish I was allowed into the city with my friends, but they say not until I'm 13. We find a parking space in a car park and start walking about. There's nothing to do where I live, the city is much better. There are skaters, alt kids, and musicians. I'm going to ask for an electric guitar for my thirteenth, can't believe I didn't think of it when I turned 12.

"Well, this is us," Dad stops suddenly. Beside us is a purple and yellow doorway. The overhead sign reads Geek-Out.

"It's a comic shop," Dad grins. "Wanna go down and 'ave a look?"

"Yeah!" I run down into the below-ground shop.

It looks amazing! It has a big TV and lounge section for video games, tabletop RPGs and merch from all my favourite games and shows. The people here are older than me, and they all seem like massive bloody dorks, but it's still awesome.

"Can I get something?" I ask Dad.

"Of course, hey whatever you want," he sits at one of the tables. The people playing tabletop RPGs are annoyed by that, lmao. "I'll get us milkshakes,"

I look around at all the stuff. Dad really underestimated the prices of some of this. I don't think he knows how fandoms work. There's no way he'd be willing to get me the 24-carrot-gold Yu-Gi-Oh cards or the official Batmobile model for £230. Bur! They have a comics section that I thumb through. I get three books for 15 quid, which ain't that bad.

The milkshakes are more than a fiver, but they're bloody worth it! I get Nutella because of course I do, and Dad gets mint chocolate. These milkshakes are banging, man.

"We can come here every weekend if you want," Dad says.

"Really?!"

"If you don't get into trouble,"

"Alright," I slump back in my seat. "What about Max?"

"What about him?" Dad asks between sips.

"Well, he can't come here!"

"It's the city. There's loads of places Mum or I could take him,"

I smile more. "Thanks,"

On the way home, I finally get the courage to ask Dad. "Why's Max your favourite?"