015

It's the last day of school! And my last day of Year 1. Everyone can bring games and we can go outside and stuff. I'm bringing my portable DVD player. But Mum and Dad care more about Chris today. It's his last day of primary school.

"It's so exciting, you're going to the big school!" Mum claps excited. Roxie is excited too, she's smiling and wiggling around.

"Ugh Mum," he rolls his eyes.

We can wear our own clothes on the last day too. He has his Minecraft hoodie on and I just have an orange t-shirt and shorts. It's weird not wearing my uniform in school.

Chris and I get to school and I find Jemima.

"Hi!" I run up and hug her.

"Hi Max!" She's wearing a pretty dress. "Look what Dad let me bring!"

She pulls out a little plastic hamster pet that has wheels. It goes along the floor if you put a battery in it.

"Mum said be careful I don't get it in my hair!"

I giggle. "I have this!"

I pull out my portable DVD player and Frozen and The Grinch.

"Why do you have them? It's not Christmas," l

"But Christmas movies are still the best!"

I play some board games with others in the morning, then the teacher lets Jemima and me watch movies on my DVD player at my desk. But it won't be my desk after today. And neither will my teacher...

I go up to her. "Miss?"

"Hi Max," she smiles. "Are you enjoying your last day?"

After nodding, I crash into her arms. "I'm going to miss you!"

"Aw, thank you Max," she helps me off of her. "I'll miss you too. But we'll see each other around school, I'm only a room away,"

"Is my new teacher nice?"

"She's..." my teacher hesitates. "She's nice, Max. But you'll be in Year 2 and you need to take things more seriously,"

"Yes Miss," I pout with my bottom lip sticking out.

We go outside for a while. Fit the first time, since I'm in Year 2, I can go to the big kids playground! They have a football pitch that's so big! Like a real one. I play with Jemima until it's 12 o'clock, time to go home since the last day is a half-day.

"Max!" Chris calls from the car park. "Mum and dad are here!"

"Bye," I hug her. "I'll see you next week!"

Jemima waves me off and I get in the back of the car. "Three... two... one!" Mum begins.

"YEEEEEEY!" We all shout in unison. Including Chris and Dad. It's a tradition for us after we complete any milestone. 

"You'll be a big Year 2 now," Dad grins. "And Chris, you'll be in high school!"

"You said that already," he rolls his eyes. 

"I know, I'm just excited," Dad smiles.

When we get home, Mum and Dad sit us at the kitchen table. "Since you boys are getting older, we're changing some things,"

Chris and I exchange a look.

"Chris," Dad pulls out a box. He hands it to Chris, who opens it.

"It's an iPhone X!" He screams and jumps up.

"Woah," I shrug, not really caring about phones.

"And Max," Mum hands me a box. I open it messily and my eyes widen.

"A scouts uniform!"

"Yup, you're going to scouts," Mum agrees. "Dad signed you up,"

"Brilliant!"

Both of us hug them. When we sit back down, Dad puts a serious face on.

"We're making some other changes too," Dad continues. "Max, we're going to make you a sticker chart for your behaviour and school. And Chris..."

"We're going to let you stay by yourself in the house when you come in from school. We're trusting you so Dad can go back to work in-person and Roxie can go to a nursery,"

"What!" I stand up and stamp my feet. "He gets a phone and to stay at home!"

"Max, don't be jealous," Mum warns. "Your sticker chart will get up lots of rewards for good behaviour and we got you in scouts a year early,"

I don't care about that! Chris is gonna be here when I get home from school and he'll be really mean without Mum and Dad here.

"I want a phone too! I don't want him to babysit me!"

"Max!"

Dad pulls me from my seat. "Come with me,"

"N-No!" I start crying. "I'm sorry..."

Dad sits and lets me go. "You're lucky it's the first day of the holidays,"

"Can I still go to scouts...?"

Mum and Dad sigh together. "You can have a trial week. We expect best behaviour Max, and if not you can say goodbye to the scouts,"

I look down. "Yes Mum,"

And so, the holidays begin.