Chapter 1 - What the...

Once upon a time...that's how this all starts.

You know, where a desirable damsel needs rescuing from a creepy castle. Where a fire-breathing dragon is defeated. Where a wicked witch melts into a pool of green goo. Okay, maybe not green goo, but you get the gist.

Nicole checked her diary. The last meeting she needed to attend would start in one hour. After that, she would be free to finish Christmas shopping, pack her bags and fly home.

This would be the first Christmas being single in quite a few years, her love life paused, zero prospects on the horizon. Not that she minded. She would rather be in this position than remain locked in her old life, which frankly was going nowhere. Seeing the days slip away, feeling she was asleep at the wheel she made a resolution on January first of that year to shake things up, break free of old patterns, wake herself from an existence which had lost all meaning.

Her phone rang. Robin, one of her dearest friends was in town with his partner, hoping to catch up before she headed off to her parents. "We're here," he said, the sound of laughter and the clinking of glasses in the background. "I've got us tickets to the best show in town."

"That's really thoughtful. I've been dying to see 42nd Street."

There was a pause. "Right, only these were cheaper. Just as good. You'll love it."

"Wicked."

"Better than Wicked."

"Please tell me it's not Frozen." She could hear Robin giggling. "Oh God, it's Frozen, isn't it. Fine. Seriously, is it Frozen?"

"It's not Frozen. Although Jeremy would love to see that show while we're here in New York."

"So, if it's not any of those what is it?"

"You'll see. Really, you'll love it. Trust me. Very you."

"Now I'm intrigued."

"Meet us at The Polynesian for drinks before the show. Six-ish."

"I'm guessing you're already there. I'll need to change. Six thirty earliest. Order me a Rita Hayworth."

That particular cocktail bar was a favourite of theirs, meeting on the occasions Robin made a flying visit to the big apple to see his best friend. Always a good evening once the drinks started flowing. Nicole checked the time, forty minutes till her meeting, making a few calls, her mind continuing to mull over which show they might be seeing later.

Meeting over she headed out, stopping off to collect her reserved gifts, grabbing a cab to her apartment, the holiday season having officially begun. Showering, pulling out several of her designer suits she couldn't decide on the electric blue, or the black, going with the blue on this occasion. Slightly more festive she considered, matching it with one of her silk shirts. Dressed and ready to go, she gathered up the presents for Robin and Jeremy, making her way to the cocktail bar, still intrigued at what they would see.

Robin and Jeremy were in high spirits when she arrived having spent most of the afternoon consuming cocktails. Presents distributed, Nicole was dying to know what the next part of the evening had in store. "Must be a musical. You love musicals."

"Not a musical," Robin replied.

"Not a musical. Then it's, what else could it be?"

"Involves dancing."

"Cabaret. Involves dancing. Any clues?"

Robin attempted to stand on the tips of his toes spilling his cocktail in the process. "I should have been a dancer."