Chapter 8

Nicole had ended up on the ragged side of the rug, her long legs hanging a little over the edge as they travelled to their next destination. Despite their encounter with a rather large cat, despite nearly losing Jeremy to its mouth, all seemed to be going well. A little too well Nicole considered, feeling inside her jacket for the rose. It was still there, its soft petals brushing against her fingertips giving off a vanilla scent.

Proud of her achievements, her confidence growing, she was beginning to settle into this crazy world. Jeremy was studying the map, looking over occasionally to check Nicole hadn't fallen off. "I reckon we're about halfway there," he said, holding the lantern up, pointing to a moving dot. "That's us and that's the Lamenting Lake."

"Waverly can grow," Nicole said, as she edged nearer to look over Jeremy's shoulder. "Full size."

Jeremy stared at Nicole. "You mean she was with you in person."

"Indeed. She was small, but grew when I asked her."

"Surely that means we don't have to do all these stupid challenges. We just head back to Riddle town, get Waverly to pop out of the mirror, collect Robin on the way."

Nicole contemplated Jeremy's idea. It hadn't occurred to her Waverly being able to move through the mirror, become adult size, might be a shortcut to getting out of this world. Then again, it seemed far too easy. "I don't know, a solution like that would be too obvious. We're probably missing something."

"My shoes," came the voice from Nicole's pocket.

"You're listening to our conversation," Nicole replied. "That's sneaky."

"Not much else to do," Waverly said.

"What do you mean your shoes?" Jeremy asked.

"They're enchanted. Destroy them and you destroy the hold they have over me. If not I remain trapped inside the mirror, never to leave this place."

"Right, got it," Nicole said. "Hold on, you dropped one in the room in the theatre. I handed it to you. You asked for it back."

"They are my only means of leaving here to perform. Without them I cannot dance on stage at Christmas time. It is the only thing that has kept me sane all these years, that and hoping someone will one day release me from the wizard's grip."

"Got it. Wait, if we destroy them how do you leave here? Do we destroy them inside this world, or once you're outside. And, if we..."

"All will become clear as your journey unfolds. The secret of this world is the magic it holds."

"Okay. So, basically you're saying we should wait to be told."

Jeremy smirked. "You're rhyming. This place is getting to you."

The carpet swooped lower, coming to rest by the side of a lake, a full moon illuminating the water. A magical sight, one the companions stopped for a moment to take in. "I'm really not an outdoor type of girl," Nicole commented, enjoying the view before her. "Never went camping as a child. Too busy helping my parents with their theatre performances. Kind of regret not having gone. You?"

"Me," Jeremy replied. "Are you asking if I ever went camping? The answer is an emphatic no. Too busy studying, or doing chores. Strict household. Can't imagine it's all that pleasurable lying on cold, damp ground in a thin sleeping bag, in an equally thin tent, with wild animals prowling, or worse."

Nicole shivered. "Hadn't thought about wild animals. Waverly mentioned one of her rescuers was nibbled by a werewolf."

Jeremy held up the lantern. "I really wish you hadn't told me that."