Chapter 23

As they approached the forest Cedric came to a halt, lighting their never lanterns. "I can go no further," he instructed, his eyes staring into the wooded area ahead. "The witches set traps hoping to catch us, hold us ransom. Or, boil us in their stews."

Nicole and Jeremy looked at each other. "Okay, good to know," Nicole replied. "Any suggestions on how not to end up as dinner?"

Cedric shook his head, reaching into his pocket, extracting several large lumps of gold. "George and I want you to have these," he said. "In case. It might buy you your freedom."

"That's more than generous," Jeremy replied, accepting the gifts. "Thank you."

The pair watched as Cedric made his way back along the path they came, neither wanting to be the first to enter where witches might make them their feast. Eventually Nicole decided they would have to move, the time slipping away, Waverly's life hanging between waking and forever sleeping. Her lantern held before her, she cast its greenish light ahead looking for the way in. "There's a gap in the trees to the left," she said, pointing to an opening. "I'm not sure."

"Can we call to the fairies?" Jeremy suggested. "Not go in too far. That way we might stand a chance."

"Nope. This place is super weird. It holds sound captive, but lets you speak from within. Oh, oh, wow I'm such an idiot." Pulling out the bag of dust, she inhaled the second pinch, her eyes adjusting to the landscape. "There," she pointed. "Jeremy, the path is to our right. Good job I remembered, otherwise no telling where we would have ended up."

Marching off in the direction of the path Jeremy followed, none the wiser as to what lay ahead. Twisting and turning, Nicole easily picked out their way, her feet occasionally leaving the ground, remembering to think sad thoughts to bring herself back down to earth. Arriving at a glade she stood perfectly still, hoping the fairies would hear her heart.

"Are they here?" Jeremy asked, shining his lantern around the opening in the woods. "Can you see them?"

"Shush. No, not yet."

A cackle from within the darkness alerted them to the presence of someone they did not wish to meet. Another cackle to the left, another to the right, the sickening sound echoing all around, their eyes darting back and forth in a desperate bid to locate the source. Nicole thought she spotted a pair of green eyes peering at her, her hand shaking at the thought of coming face to face with whoever was now stalking them.

Her heart pounded for release through her chest, a ringing in her ears, her own breathing echoing in her head, almost missing the tiny voice coming from her pocket. "Nicole, it's me."

Jeremy heard it first. "That sounds like Waverly."

Retrieving the mirror Waverly's face appeared. "God, I miss you. But, how?"

"I don't know," Waverly replied. "I was having a lovely sleep and you woke me. Or, maybe I'm dreaming of being home."

"We're in the forest surrounded by witches. Your uncle hasn't appeared."

"They're hiding most likely if the witches are out playing. Sing them the lullaby."

"Err, don't know it. Not much of a singer either."

"Sorry. I keep forgetting this isn't your home. I'll sing it and you follow me."

Nicole turned to Jeremy. "You might want to cover your ears."

"That bad."

Nicole nodded, waiting for Waverly to begin. The words she sang brought tears to Nicole's eyes, Waverly's voice angelic, her heart missing her more than she could express. Together they sang the song to send the witches to sleep, if only for a short while, the forest falling silent as their duet ended. "I'll do everything I can," Nicole said, as Waverly's face faded from the mirror. "Everything."