Chapter 14

As the rose continued to climb Nicole was able to look out over the forest and beyond. There really was something magical about this place, something the real world, her world lacked. Admittedly, there was danger and uncertainty, a sense of the right going wrong at any moment, and yet, underneath it all was an excitement and an expectation of a happy ending, of everything working out just fine, eventually. Right now, however, she was in dangerous uncertainty territory, clinging onto a stem hoping not to fall.

Nearing the window she called to Happily to stop, a flutter in her stomach as she tapped on the window to be let in, waiting for Waverly to oblige. And there she waited, and waited, hanging on the trunk of a gigantic rose wondering if she had chosen the wrong tower after all. Tapping again, a little disappointed not to see Waverly flinging open the window, welcoming her in with open arms, she peered inside unable to see anything because of the accumulated grime. Guessing they can't get window cleaners for towers this high, she thought, as she used her sleeve and a little spit to rub a small circle to see through.

There in the middle of a four-poster bed lay Waverly, fast asleep, a small candle flickering by her bedside. Sleeping beauty no less, a sight almost causing Nicole to let go of the plant, managing to hang on as her eyes took in the vision before her. Everything she and her companions had endured suddenly became worth the effort simply to be here, now gazing in at this beautiful creature.

Another thought entered her mind. If Waverly was asleep on the bed, how could she get in? Letting go of the stem with one hand, she fumbled in her pocket for the mirror, not quite sure how Waverly could talk to her and be asleep at the same time. Then again, she thought, this place is weird enough for that to happen. "Hi, it's me. I'm outside your window. Kind of can't get in."

Waverly's face appeared. "You've finally come. I knew this day would arrive."

"Yes, finally here. Only, I'm out here and you're in there asleep."

"Break the glass," Waverly suggested.

"Right, good thinking. What with? Oh, hold on, I've got it."

Nicole replaced the mirror in her pocket, pulling the sword from her belt, using the hilt to bang on the glass. No matter how hard she hit the pane it would not break, Nicole's wrist becoming sore in the process. "I'm not letting a fucking window defeat me," she said, as she took an almighty swing at the pane, the sword bouncing out of her hand, her eyes following its journey to the ground.

"What's happening?" Waverly asked, from inside Nicole's pocket.

"Dropped the sword."

"You don't need it."

"Kind of do."

"Simply break the glass."

"Trying to. It won't break."

"The glass. Break the glass."

"That's what I'm saying. Without the sword I can't break it. Actually, with the sword I couldn't either. It's hopeless. Nothing is as it seems."

"You've come so far for now to fail. I guess this is where we end the tale."

"No, no. I'm not giving up," Nicole replied. "Think, think. What do I have? What do I have? I could climb down and get the sword. But, it doesn't work on the glass. Fairy dust, a cape, a mirror, a rose stem. Wait, no, that wouldn't work. Although, maybe. Worth a try." Nicole called down to the flute. "Hey, Happily, up here. Here boy. That's a good flute. Happily, come."

The flute gave a toot as it floated its way up to Nicole, coming to rest in her hand. "Happily, play a tune to break the glass, there's a good flute."