Chapter 26

The young woman returned to the cottage, Nicole holding her infant in her arms, cooing and making baby talk to entertain the child. "She looks very happy with you," Lily observed. "You're a natural."

Nicole's cheeks turned crimson, handing over the baby. "They usually puke on me. How do we get to the Ruby Glades?"

"Same as before," Lily replied. "Our cart will take you to the village. At the tavern ask for Finbar, my father, tell him where you need to go. He'll arrange everything."

"Your family are extremely kind," Waverly said. "Your deeds will be rewarded."

"The end of the wizard's reign will be enough reward. I fear we put too much of a burden on you to succeed."

"The pain he has caused others will keep me fighting to rid this world of his hand," Nicole replied.

As the cart moved off, Waverly snuggled into Nicole's arm. "She seems nice."

Nicole quirked an eyebrow. "She is. Very nice. Her whole family have been beyond helpful."

"And pretty. In a homely way."

Nicole held her lips together to stifle a laugh, coughing after a few moments. "I think her homely look suits her."

"Do you like the homely look? I could dress like that if you desire."

Nicole turned her head to Waverly. "You are perfect in every way. Never, ever dress, or be different than who you are."

"She smiled at you most."

"Waverly Earp, I am not interested in her, do you hear. It is you by my side. Anyway, she has enough children to start her own school."

"I will bear you as many, if not more."

Nicole stared at the road ahead. Children had not been a consideration when she was with Shae, the question never directly asked of the other. Rather, it was the odd comment passed in a restaurant at the whiny sound of a crying kid, or seeing parents pushing prams looking exhausted, telling each other indirectly they weren't prepared to complicate their relationship in that way. If Shae had asked directly she would have said she wanted kids, wanted her own family, eventually.

The thought of children scared her. Too much was changing in her life to even contemplate the possibility. She would need to discuss this with Waverly, but now was not the time. Anyway, she wasn't sure if it was even possible, cursing the fact the internet, and phones for that matter, didn't appear to work in this world, unable to google the question in her head.

As the cart neared the village they spied the tavern, stopping outside the bakery, walking the short distance back to where they were told to go. The tavern was quiet when they entered, Nicole motioning with her head to Waverly the man they sought must be the one serving behind the bar. He greeted them, nodded when told of their destination, pouring dandelion beer into two small tankards, pushing them in their direction. "On the house. It will take a day for an escort to arrive. Best be staying here till then."

"We have to go to the Fairy Forest first," Waverly said. "For my uncle. It should take no more than half a day."

"I shall get a room ready for you," Finbar replied. "Ring the outside bell if you arrive after we shut."

Finishing their beer, leaving their belongings, the couple headed back to the bakery, Waverly borrowing a cape, Nicole still wearing the blue one given to her by the girl at the lake. Three knocks on the hanging tree they waited for a goblin to arrive, Cedric poking his head out. "Where's Jez," he asked, holding the door for them.