Chapter 6

The sensation of moving through the air on what essentially was a large Persian rug thrilled Nicole. It had been a long time, a long, long time since she allowed herself to have this much fun. Structure and discipline, discipline and structure were her preferred ways of controlling her life. Sensible to the hilt, reliable, a little boring if she cared to admit, surrounding herself with people who could have fun so that she didn't have to step forward and pick up the reins for her own enjoyment.

The three examples Jake mentioned when she quit were those where she had had to make a choice on how much fun she would allow herself to have. Standing on that stage in high school, looking out at judgmental faces waiting for her audition piece, the one she had practised night after night in front of the mirror, she froze, convincing herself she was unable to let go and enjoy the moment performing a comedy sketch she hoped would secure her the lead part.

Her friends consoled her, telling her she was just as good as the girl who got the part, the girl who was prepared to put herself out there, the girl who was prepared to make a fool of herself in front of those judgmental faces. It was a defining moment for Nicole, one where instead of opening up to the world she closed the doors, pushing deeper into her shell, deciding she would only do that which she felt confident enough to accomplish, even if it meant it lacked joy.

As the wind swept through her hair, as her hands gripped the edge of the carpet, she felt a tinge of regret at not having given herself permission to be as carefree and joyous and frivolous as she was being now. And, therein lay what appealed most to her in seeing Waverly dance, her movements light and flowing, carefree and joyous and sublime, as if she hadn't a worry in the world, as if the stage was her world, a world of wonder and delight and joy. That was it, joy, Waverly danced with such joy those watching couldn't help but be enchanted.

If truth be told, it was never an autograph Nicole was after. It was the chance to meet someone who encapsulated joy through exquisite movements of their body. Nicole simply wanted to stand in the presence of Waverly and absorb her essence, her joie de vivre, her love of life. She simply wanted to touch Waverly's hand to see if some of the magic would rub off on her, make her feel as joyful, lighten her heart. A foolish desire, one she knew deep down was not possible, yet it didn't stop her attempting to gain access to a dancer who in the time she watched her perform had shown her more about how to live life to its fullest than she had been able to do so in all her time on this spinning ball called home.

Hills and valleys, rivers and lakes passing beneath them, the companions took in the vastness of this world. "Look," Nicole said, as they flew over a large stretch of water. "You don't think that's the lake we're supposed to visit, do you?"

"Who knows," Jeremy replied. "This place is so much bigger than I realised. All this behind a mirror."

"It feels real," Nicole said. "I know all of it is magic, but it feels like this place exists all the time."

Jeremy nodded. "I think you're right. It's different, but similar. Who do you think the people in Riddle Me Do are?"

"Not sure. They seem like anyone else, well except for the medieval houses and old-fashioned clothes. This is better than I expected."

"I'm sorry if we upset you."

"It's okay. I guess I know I can be annoying and not on time. I just don't like getting to places early and having to be by myself."

"Me too. I think that's why Robin and I ended up together. He's the life and soul of every party. I swear he could entertain himself if he was put in a room on his own."

Nicole giggled at Jeremy's suggestive comment. "Yep, that's Robin for you. That outfit, it's so him."

"I bet he asks to keep it. I'm going to have to put up with those tinkling shoes forever."