Chapter 17

Waverly turned, now presenting a full-frontal view, Nicole desperately willing her eyes to look away, unable to do so. "The wizard," Waverly began. "To stop me escaping. He ripped my wings from my body."

"Your wings," Nicole acknowledged. "You said, I remember. He really did that? I'm so sorry."

Waverly lowered her head. "Without them I cannot take my parents' place to rule over the fairies."

Nicole listened to Waverly's words, attempting to make sense. "Who were your parents?"

"The king and queen. I am their only child. Their death at the hands of the wizard meant I became the rightful heir to all their lands."

"Wait, are you saying you're a princess?"

Waverly nodded. "It means little now. The loss of my wings prohibits me from leading my people."

"Oh Waverly, why didn't you say? Fucking hate that wizard for what he has done to you."

"My life is here now," Waverly replied. "My uncle will see to it our people are not mistreated further. Although, there is no guarantee. The wizard is spiteful, always seeking ways to bring sadness where joy once existed."

"Joy," Nicole repeated. "That's what drew me to you. The joy of watching you dance."

"Our land was full of joy until the black swan arrived, turning everything cold, a perpetual winter's eve. Our people, those who live in my world, have had to endure much, eek out a living tilling the frozen land, surviving on winter crops."

"The giant's garden. That's why he was growing those vegetables. And, that's why the rose was but a stem. It makes sense now."

"The villagers turned to the forest folk for help, knowing our magic could help against Svane's wicked ways. But, he found out we were using our magic and sought to destroy us for daring to go against him."

"Why was he there?"

"He found the way in."

"Through the mirror?" Nicole asked. "He found the mirror?"

Waverly nodded. "Our world and your world are closer than you realise. I can see it. I see what is not there."

Nicole held out the PJs, realising she had been staring at Waverly's body the whole time. "You'll get cold."

"I usually sleep naked," Waverly replied, accepting the clothing being offered.

Nicole let out a whimper at this new piece of information, guessing she wouldn't be sleeping much after taking in everything before her eyes. Forcing herself to look away, she waited for Waverly to don her clothing, glancing over when she thought it was safe. Even Waverly in her PJs was doing things to her, hoping her face, her eyes in particular, didn't give too much away.

Joining Waverly on the couch their conversation continued long into the night, Waverly explaining how both their worlds had always had portals to allow for travel back and forth, magic folk and non-magic folk existing together, some non-magic folk choosing to live in Waverly's world, and vice versa. "That's why the people of Riddle Me Do seemed like us," Nicole surmised. "Couldn't work that out. And, there's magic folk here in New York. Is that what you're saying?"

"Of course. Did you not see them? The journey here to your castle."

"You saw them?"

"I'm guessing without the cape you can't see what I can see."

"So wish I'd taken it. With the cape would I be able to see what you can see?"

Waverly nodded. "It's all around you. Your world is magical too, so full of life and joy. At first I thought the wizard had cast a spell on your world."