Chapter 21

"Looks like we're headed back to the theatre," Jeremy said, as they sat round Nicole's table. "Let's hope Jake isn't anywhere, otherwise I'll use my judo on him."

"He's not going to let us into the theatre," Nicole replied. "He'll know if we're there we want to get to the mirror."

"Tempted to make him eat a slice of his own pie," Robin added.

Jeremy rolled his eyes. "Which we binned. No. Maybe. Although."

Nicole and Robin looked at him. "What?" Nicole said. "Seriously, what?"

"What if there's more than one way into the hidden world?"

"Oh, oh, you might be right. Waverly said portals. Her world and ours use portals to travel back and forth. But, how do we find one of these portals?"

"The same way we found werewolf guy," Jeremy replied. "You sniff the dust, we go look for someone who knows a way in."

"They're not going to let us in without a price," Nicole said. "One thing I'm learning about magic folk they like those using their services to pay."

"Bridges," Jeremy replied. "We cross them as needed. We could either head back to the restaurant, or Angelo might be able to help again. We should have asked him when we had the chance."

"The restaurant," Nicole said. "Rex might be there. That saves me using the dust. And, I have a feeling Angelo will ask us for something more."

"Okay, the restaurant," Jeremy agreed. "If he's not there we'll have to call on Angelo and pay his price."

Nicole entered the bedroom, Waverly sleeping the long sleep, lying down beside her, wishing this wasn't happening, wishing they were doing the things they had done the day before, wishing life was normal, predictable, knowing that would never be the case. "I will do anything to get you back, you hear. I'll not stop until I figure all this out. He's not having you."

Kissing Waverly on the forehead, leaving her in the protection of Robin, they headed back to the place fast becoming their regular haunt. Entering Nicole spotted Rex behind the bar, waiting for him to finish serving another customer. "Hey pretty lady back so soon. What can I get you and your friend?"

"A portal to the other world."

Rex's eyes darted back and forth. "Two strawberry daiquiris coming up."

"That's not what I asked for," Nicole replied. "Where are the por..."

"Take the drinks," Rex interrupted, his eyes meeting hers.

They watched as Rex made their cocktails, sliding them over, Nicole noticing a piece of paper under hers. Rex winked, moving off to serve more customers. Picking up her drink she read the address, handing it to Jeremy, the pair staring at each other. "A cathedral," Jeremy whispered. "We're into Dan Brown territory now."

"The Da Vinci Code never had werewolves, or fairies, as far as I know," Nicole replied. "You any good at deciphering cryptic messages set within a European religious landscape?"

Jeremy giggled. "You read it too. It wasn't that bad to be fair. Not as bad as Fifty Shades of..."

Nicole gasped. "Okay, okay, I read it."

"Let's go see what this cathedral has to offer," Jeremy said. "I'll be Langdon."

Standing outside the Basilica of St. Patrick's Old Cathedral on Mulberry Street the pair had no idea what to do. It wasn't the place to go asking if another world existed behind mirrors, fearing the cops would be called and they would end up having to explain themselves, which would be rather hard to do given they too couldn't believe how their lives had changed in the space of a few days.