Chapter 15

In the seconds that followed Nicole could hear Waverly shouting at her to remove the cape, her fingers finding the clasp even with her eyes closed, the cape falling to the ground. "Nicole, open your eyes," Waverly yelled.

"Really don't want to," Nicole replied. "If I'm going to be roasted rather not see the flames."

"Nicole, open your eyes," Waverly repeated.

Nicole opened one eye, then the other, the beast before her now little more than a snarling dog, chained to the wall like the other dogs in the courtyard. She looked around, adamant a dragon must still be lurking somewhere, returning to study the animal in more detail. There around its neck was the key she needed, Nicole letting out a laugh in relief. "I hate this place," she said, "but it's also fun. Okay, here doggy, nice doggy, just need to get that key from you."

The dog growled, baring its teeth, Nicole knowing better than to put her hand anywhere near its collar. Dragon, or drooling doggy, she wasn't about to risk getting too close for it to bite off her hand. Standing back, assessing the situation, she smiled to herself as the answer came. Calling to her trusted flute it hopped out of Waverly's hand, dancing its merry way across the floor, jumping into Nicole's arms. "We need to send the doggy to sleep. Can you do that for me?"

The flute gave a toot and began playing the most soothing of tunes, Nicole stuffing a finger in each ear not to be affected, watching as the dog's eyes began to droop, its tongue loll out as it lay down on the floor. As soon as it was asleep she commanded Happily to stop playing, reaching over to remove the key. It was almost within her grasp when the dog opened one eye, then the other, Nicole narrowly escaping its sharp teeth as it snapped at her. "Think, think. Bring the chest over here. No, still won't reach. Let Happily continue playing, but then I'll fall asleep if I take my finger from my ear."

Her hands went to her pockets without thinking, one hand on the mirror, the other on the bag of fairy dust. Pulling out the mirror she waved it in front of the dog's face, the light from a nearby torch reflecting on its surface, the dog captivated by the movement. "That's good. Now, all I have to do is reach in, and..."

No sooner had she moved her hand towards the dog it started to growl, Nicole at a loss what to do. She looked back to where she and Waverly had entered the dungeon wondering why Waverly hadn't joined her in this final challenge, only to see her stretched out on the floor, the flute's music having lulled her into a deep sleep. It was down to her to finish the task, the only thing left in her possession the bag of fairy dust.

Pulling it out, taking a large pinch in her hand she threw it at the dog, hoping it would magically transform into a cute little bunny, or a frog, anything lacking the capacity to remove her arm as she removed the key. Instead, she watched as the animal began to lift off the ground, its paws paddling the air helplessly in a frantic effort to stop its upward path.

Letting out a whimper in surprise, Nicole seized the moment of distraction to yank the key free of its neck. The item in her hand, the dog floating ever higher towards the ceiling, she rushed to the trunk, inserting the key, hearing the lock click. "Come on, come on. Please be in there, please be in there."

As the trunk opened her worst fears were realised, staring in at an empty space, no slippers, nothing. "Fuck, fuck, fuck. Think, think. They're here, they've got to be here. Okay, calm down, think. Magic shoes, magic shoes, magic...oh, oh, will I ever learn. Robin, you're right this is Escape Room 101."

Grabbing the cape, placing it over her shoulders, fastening the clasp, she lifted the lid of the trunk once more, there before her a pair of ballet slippers.

"I'm so wearing the tee shirt when we get out of here," she said to herself. "Robin can get his own."

Nicole took one last look at the dragon floating above her head, giving it the bird as a farewell gesture, walking to where Waverly lay snoring on the floor. Laughing to herself, wondering if Waverly would find her orderly shoe fetish weird she put on her boots, lifting Waverly over her shoulder, heading out into the night.