Chapter 28

Nicole felt her body become heavy, hitting the floor. Waverly managed to stop her head from smashing on marble stones where she fell, her hands as fast as lightening, cradling Nicole's body in her arms. "She's wounded, an arrow to her arm," she said, to gasps from the procession. "She needs your medicine."

Lord Oisin motioned for those with him to take Nicole to the chambers prepared for her arrival. "I will see to it she is cared for."

Waverly watched as Nicole's body was lifted from the ground and led away. "I need to be with her. She will fret if I'm not there."

Lord Oisin bowed. "I understand, but she goes to her chambers where you are not permitted. I will have someone escort you to your chambers."

Xavier held Waverly's arm to keep her from following. "It's for the best. She needs to recover and your relationship has not been recognised."

"But I need to be with her," Waverly protested. "She doesn't understand this world. Not yet. I'm her only connection."

"Give it time. You will need to court, exchange silver rings. Your closeness in the tavern will not be permitted in this household. She is royalty."

Waverly glared. "As I am. I have as much standing in this household. I demand to be with her."

"You are fairy folk," Xavier replied. "You may take the form of us, but you are not of us."

Waverly's eyes turned dark. "You dare say that in my presence. Our folk have fought alongside elven since the world turned. I will not be denied access to the one I love."

Xavier bowed. "Tomorrow you may see her."

Waverly went to use her wings, to use what was in her power, her muscles twitching against the back of her clothing. "Please, I beg you, she needs me. We are both lost without each other."

Xavier shook his head. "I will not go against the ways of our people. I bid you goodnight."

With that Xavier headed towards the main door leaving Waverly sobbing. Elves came to escort her to her chambers, she not knowing where Nicole was, fearing the elven world would part her from her love, forbid them from ever marrying, cast her out to make her own way back to her folk in the forest.

Nicole came to as she was laid on a bed, calling out for Waverly, those in attendance reassuring her the ones she travelled with to the glades were being taken care of. "I want her here," Nicole demanded. "I want her here now, do you hear."

Lord Oisin sought to calm her, telling her the fairy princess had retired for the night and would visit her when she was recovered. Nicole simply glared at whoever this person was in her presence. "You have precisely five minutes to get Waverly here, or I leave. Your choice."

The elf lord glanced at his helpers, bowing to Nicole. "I will ask if she is disposed to visit you."

Nicole sat on the edge of the bed determined not to let whatever was happening be done without her authority. Seeing Waverly's face as she entered broke her, tears flowing before she could stop herself. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I don't know what to do."

"My love, it's alright," Waverly soothed. "This is all new. I am not meant to be here that's all."

"But you are. I'm not letting anyone keep us apart."

"No, no, they're not. It's just the way it must be. If we're to be together we must follow the ways of your people, especially in your grandmother's house."

"Just this one night. I'll sleep on the floor, I promise. I've fought too hard for this to happen now."

"Go fetch another bed," Lord Oisin instructed. "We will overlook this for now. Tomorrow you will stand before your grandmother and become one of us. From then on you will be expected to follow our ways whether they are agreeable to you, or not."