Chapter 31

As Nicole reached out to accept the rose the scene vanished, waking, looking over at Waverly who was still sleeping, her features angelic, her wings twitching slightly against her back. It had never bothered her Waverly would have these, it making perfect sense in this world. Sitting by the fire, opening yet another tome on Elven ways, a thought struck her, a sickening thought, that the wizard would indeed tear her family from her for no other reason than he believed he was entitled to do so. Xavier was right, it was his vanity that would be his undoing.

She could not live like that, not with the shadow of the wizard always hanging over her, waiting, watching, wanting what she had. She knew precisely where he would strike next. Her child, her soon to be Roisin, would be in his sights. His mocking words echoed in her mind forewarning her that her legacy would be undone. It wasn't her legacy he was after, it was her future held within the tiny bundle of love that would grow inside Waverly. And, that thought sickened her the most. The thought of the wizard coming anywhere near her child was the final line that would not be crossed.

Her mind made up she went to her desk, extracting a piece of parchment and a quill, sitting down to write a note to Waverly, telling her she was doing this for them, not that she knew exactly what she was doing, telling Waverly she loved her more than anyone in this world and beyond, telling her she would be back soon.

Rolling the parchment, sealing it with her wax seal, she left it on the table, dressing as quietly as she could. With only her boots to go, fearing their tapping on the floor would wake Waverly, she tiptoed to the door, opening it as quietly as she could, heading out on what she hoped would be her final quest. Arriving at the stables, attaching reins to Gosfar, she led him out into the courtyard to be confronted by Waverly, her arms folded, her wings fully extended behind her back, a look on her face to say Nicole wasn't going anywhere without her. "If you want that Lily girl then you shall have her. I will not stand in your way. But, please, have the courtesy to tell me to my face."

"No...I. That's not...Waverly, I wouldn't. She's not the reason. I need to do this."

Waverly pulled her arms in tighter. "Not even one night and you slip away. I thought I knew you. You are but a common thief."

"I swear this isn't what it looks like. Okay, it looks pretty bad. I'm doing this for us. For..."

"Roisin. Yes, she came to me too. She has your hair. And you would do this knowing she is coming to us."

"No...I. She's the reason. Look, anything I say right now is going to sound crazy. I have to see someone. Someone who might be able to help us. It's a long shot, but..."

Waverly removed her gold ring handing it back to Nicole. "I believe this is yours. I'll pack my things, be gone from your life. I asked only one thing of you that you would speak plainly. If you choose not to do so then we have no future."

"I'm not taking it. Okay, okay, there's a wizard beyond here who made the antidote to break the sleeping spell you were under. I thought. I don't know who else to go to. If I ask here they will know my intentions."

Waverly replaced the ring on her finger. "Thank you. Why you couldn't have said that to me."

"Because...I'm a fool, who thought she had to do this on her own. You're right, we are married now and my actions affect yours. I'm sorry. It's just, he's inside my head, eating away, laughing at me."

"Do you not think he is in my head too? I learnt to block him out. And, unlike you I never gave in. I never let him mind sex me, as you say. Not once. I stayed strong."

"Oh God, Waverly. I've totally fucked up here. Please, please forgive me. I should have consulted with you. I should have...can we start again?"

Waverly rose in the air, her beautiful wings catching the light, a splendid sight to behold. "I shall consider it."