Chapter 19

As Nicole floated down to the bed the heaviness, the confusion she had been feeling, was gone. What did it matter she was half elf? In fact, it was almost an early Christmas present, hugging Waverly in her arms. Had she known she was part of the hidden world, the world just out of sight, she might have acted differently, been a little braver, a little more confident, perhaps. Maybe. Who could tell? Everything had worked out for the best. She had Waverly with her and the wizard could go to hell.

"This is the best Christmas ever," she said, turning her head to kiss Waverly. "The best. I'm a Troy."

"You are. Elves are my favourite folk."

"Am I your favourite folk?" Nicole asked.

"My favourite."

Nicole bounced off the bed. "We need to eat. I promised to make you my special chilli. You'll love it."

"Does it have dogs?"

Nicole laughed. "No dogs, all vegetables. No dandelions unfortunately. Must find where I can get them. And, I want to try flower nectar."

Waverly followed Nicole to the small kitchen, leaning against a cupboard as the meal was being prepared. This was as much a new world for her, the foods, the drinks, the sounds, the lights, the smells. All new, all exciting, all somewhere she could easily get used to. Letting the chilli simmer, more hot chocolate made, the couple sat watching the very first episode of Friends, Nicole explaining the characters, telling her there were hundreds more episodes to watch, Waverly still not quite understanding how television worked.

The table laid, the chilli ready, Nicole opened a bottle of red wine she had been saving for a special occasion, pouring a little into Waverly's glass for her to try, Waverly nodding her approval. Serving two bowls of her mother's special chilli she watched as Waverly ate a mouthful, her eyes widening in delight. "This is amazing. I've never tasted anything like this."

"My mother would put extra chillies in," Nicole said, trying her own cooking. "It's not as hot as she used to make it."

"I love it," Waverly said, taking another mouthful, then another. "It's so good...so, so good."

"Thank you. I'm not much of a cook. This is about the only dish I can make that tastes okay."

"So, so, so good," Waverly repeated, her eyes fixed on Nicole, placing her fork in the bowl, lifting her hoodie over her head. "Really, really good."

Nicole looked up. "It can have that effect on you. Would you like water?"

Waverly continued to stare at her, a hunger in her eyes Nicole had not seen in anyone before. A raw, primal hunger as if she was now on the menu. "So, so good," Waverly continued, lifting her tee shirt over her head, Nicole's eyes staring once more at Waverly naked front.

"Err, you okay there?"

Waverly gripped the edge of the table, her eyes now pools of black ink, her lips now the colour of rubies. "Bedroom now," she ordered, grabbing Nicole's hand, dragging her in that direction, making quick work of their clothing, both forgetting their meal on the table. It was one of the steamiest encounters Nicole ever had the pleasure of experiencing, the pair wrapped in each other's arms panting, Nicole's chilli but a distant memory. "I'm guessing something in the food must be an aphrodisiac," Nicole commented, as Waverly traced circles on her stomach. "That was incredible."

"Forgive me, I don't know what came over me. It was like heat rising inside."

Nicole grinned, Waverly's touch creating ripples through her body. "Think we're both learning new things about each other. Could be the chillies. At least we now know how to get a fire started."