Chapter 2

No sooner had she shouted her decision into the mirror, Nicole snapped back to reality. What am I thinking? I'm not exactly Miss Let's Go Do Something Adventurous. Seriously, this is so outside my comfort zone. And, I'm talking to a mirror. Great. I'm just going to leave this here, walk away, pretend I didn't offer to rescue this Waverly dancer. Backing away, backing away.

A voice echoed from the mirror as she neared the door. "You made a promise in front of the mirror."

"Is that you?"

"Yes, it's me. You don't have much choice. The mirror has chosen you."

"Err, okay. No idea what that means."

"It means you, and only you can save me."

"Great. And that would be because."

"Because you were allowed into the room. No one is allowed in unless their heart is true."

"Actually, Jake said it was okay to come in. For an autograph."

Nicole heard a laugh from the mirror. "And how many others were permitted to obtain an autograph?"

"Err, not sure. I mean, only me I guess. Look, I'd really like to help, but this isn't my usual way of doing things."

"I understand. So few get past the gatekeeper."

"Sorry, who? Who is the gatekeeper?"

"The wizard's assistant. The one who let you through."

"Is this some kind of a joke? Am I being filmed here?"

"No joke. I will remain a prisoner until the one with a true heart can rescue me. Alas, it is not to be you. A pity."

"I'm really sorry. If it's any consolation, you're a great dancer. I mean really great. One of the best I've ever seen. Hello."

An emptiness filled the room and a sadness as Nicole stood staring at her reflection in the mirror. "Waverly, I'm so sorry. I just don't think I'm the one. I'm sorry. Another time perhaps."

Silence. Heading back along the corridors she left the theatre, crossing the street to the bar where her two friends were waiting, accepting the beer Robin had bought for her. "Did you get it?" Robin asked, taking a sip of his drink. "The autograph. Can I see it?"

"Couldn't. She wasn't there."

"Shame. She's one amazing dancer. Didn't I say that Jeremy?"

"You did, several times. Tempted to forego Frozen and see this again."

Nicole's mind was still in front of the mirror. "Have you ever had something weird happen and not been able to explain it."

"I've had food go missing from the office fridge," Robin offered. "And, no one owned up."

"I mean, weird, as in weird."

"How weird?" Jeremy asked.

"Talking mirror weird."

Robin snorted into his beer. "Happens all the time."

"I'm being serious. Something weird happened in the theatre."

"A mirror talked to you," Robin added.

"You see, you saying that to me now makes me think maybe not."

"Let's get this straight. You stood in front of a mirror and it talked to you. Were your lips moving at the time?"

"Ha ha. It's nothing. Forget it."