Chapter 36

Nicole stared at her grandmother. "She...she doesn't have a sister. She told me."

"I understand she's a half-sister," the queen whispered, glancing over at Waverly asleep. "A little more spirit in her belly than your wife's."

Nicole retrieved the vial of essence kept safe inside her armour, handing it over. "I need to meet this so-called sister. Did she arrive with the other vial?"

"No. We found her in these very chambers yesterday morning singing to Waverly while she slept. Had the guards remove her seven times, until Waverly awoke pleading for her to remain. Your wife's relative is a determined little thing if nothing else."

"Where is she now?"

"Most likely the tavern, or the kitchens. She is rather a unique character."

Nicole headed to the kitchens in search of this supposed sister, one whose existence had not been mentioned either by Waverly, or any of her family. It was odd to think such an obvious thing as having a sister, even if only a half-sister, would be omitted from every conversation. Perhaps she's an embarrassment, she thought, or did something so awful no one must speak of her. The kitchen was devoid of servants that time of night, Nicole taking three guards with her in search of this elusive relative.

The sound of music and laughter could be heard as they approached the tavern, still open long after midnight, a woman singing a saucy sea shanty, the lyrics of which even Nicole was shocked to hear, the guards accompanying her chuckling at the phallic phrases. On seeing Nicole in the entrance the singing stopped, along with all other noise, most bowing on recognising the heir to the glades in their presence.

A woman with flowing black hair hopped off the table on which she had been giving her impromptu performance, setting down the tankard in her hand, dressed as Nicole imagined a sailor, or a pirate might have in days of yore. Black leather boots reached to her thighs, matched with a leather waistcoat over a billowing shirt, a red sash round her waist completing the seafaring attire. There was a hint of family resemblance, enough for Nicole to recognise this woman was Waverly's sister, entering the tavern, extending her hand in welcome.

The woman winked, shrinking to fairy size in the blink of an eye, removing Nicole's sword from its scabbard before she knew what was happening. With Durendal pointed at her heart the woman resumed adult size, blowing a kiss in Nicole's direction. "I'm guessing we're related," she said, handing back the sword to its owner. "Name's Wynonna. Sorry I missed the wedding. Then again, wasn't invited."

Nicole gripped her sword, fearing this feisty fairy would relieve her of it in another blink of the eye. "Waverly never mentioned you."

Wynonna's hands went to her hips, eyeing up her new sister-in-law. "Been away. Places to see, ships to sail, treasure to plunder."

"A criminal. No wonder." The speed with which Wynonna could change size was unnerving, Nicole's hand going to her right ear, then her left, as the female fairy repeatedly kicked each in turn. "Ouch, ouch, stop that," she demanded, hearing Wynonna's laugh. "Seriously, stop that. Enough."

"Apologise, or I slit your throat."

Nicole's guards looked on grinning at the spectacle of their mistress being thoroughly outmatched by this miniature maiden. "Do something," she yelled. "Ouch. Stop."

The guards attempted to capture Wynonna, hands flailing in the air as she darted back and forth, boxing their ears too. It took Nicole's apology to stop her. "Louder, so everyone can hear," Wynonna demanded, enjoying her ability to torment her sister's partner.