Chapter 25

Their cab sped through the city towards their final destination, Nicole now in possession of the essence and the forever flower. Every red light, every slowing of cars ahead causing her stress levels to rise, not knowing if they had enough time left to make the antidote, let alone get it to Waverly. There was also the big problem of short changing a wizard, a bridge to be crossed as they eventually pulled up outside the deli.

Entering the shop Angelo was busy serving a customer, his eyes glancing at them as he chatted in Italian, sensing Nicole's desire to get the antidote to the one who meant more than life itself. Entering the underground library Nicole placed the items on the table along with the bag of dust. "We have everything you need," she said.

"The bag is light," Angelo replied. "The spell will not be broken."

"I'm sorry. I had to use three pinches. There is still enough hopefully to pay the price."

Angelo shook his head. "It was agreed. The antidote only works for the agreed price."

"I have a magic flute and cape," she offered. "Can they not be used?"

"It does not work like that. The price was set and you have reneged on that contract."

"She'll die if she doesn't get the antidote. Please, I'm begging you. I'll give you everything you want."

The fairy lord whispered in her ear. "Do not barter with a wizard. He will take more than he deserves. This is for me to resolve. Waverly is my kin and it is for me to pay the wizard's price."

"Not if it means losing you. Waverly would never forgive me."

"She may never know if this is not done. You and your companion have done more than enough."

The fairy lord bowed before the wizard. "My wings for her life."

Angelo considered the offer. "It could work. If you give your wings willingly the antidote would be all the more potent."

"Then let it be so," the fairy lord replied, coming to rest on the table.

The wizard hesitated at the act he was about to perform. "I do undertake this lightly," he said. "If there was any other way."

"Just give us the antidote," Nicole replied. "We pay your price to save our own."

With that the fairy lord was stripped on his wings, his limp body lying on the table, Nicole unable to stop her tears from falling. "I'm so sorry," she repeated, not knowing what to do.

"It is for the best," the fairy lord whispered. "What need I of wings if my beloved niece loses her life."

Sobbing Nicole picked up the fairy lord, cradling him in her hands, watching as the wizard set about making the antidote. His work done he handed the vial to Jeremy with the following instructions. "It has to be administered with love. That will make it most potent. Repeat the following while rubbing the potion to Waverly's lips. The work my hands now undertake, do so for this spell to break. Essence of folk and essence of flower, be awoken within this hour."

The apartment was silent when they entered, Nicole rushing to the bedroom finding Waverly still asleep on the bed, thankful at least no one had taken her. Robin was on the couch, an empty tub of ice cream on the floor, peacefully asleep himself. Jeremy nudged him awake. "We did it. We've got the potion. Just need to administer it."

Robin leapt off the couch hugging them, spotting Nicole's cupped hands. "What's that?"

"Waverly's uncle. He sacrificed his wings for her. I'm hoping they grow back like Waverly's."