Chapter 27

Xavier directed them to the tavern stables where two horses were tethered. Leading out the majestic animals he handed one set of reins to Nicole. "This is Gosfar, one of your grandmother's fastest horses. He's like riding the wind."

Nicole gulped. "Seriously, I've never ridden. How do I start this thing? And stay on, for that matter. And, where's the sadle?"

Xavier laughed. "We ride without saddles to be one with our animal. Gosfar will do the work once I speak to him. He will not want to throw such a famous granddaughter and a fairy princess."

The pair watched as Xavier stroked the chestnut steed's back, moving to its ear, whispering something, the horse nodding its head, lowering its body to allow Nicole and Waverly to mount. With Waverly seated in front, Nicole whispered in her ear. "I'm so not comfortable with this. You between my legs super comfortable, me sitting here not comfortable."

She turned, smiling. "Elven horses are highly skilled. Gosfar will keep us safe. Trust yourself."

Xavier picked up Nicole's bag, threading his arms through the handles, placing Waverly's scarf with her belongings between his thighs. "We take the shortest path, which is also the most dangerous. If anything happens Gosfar will get you to safety."

"And there's me thinking the New York subway was a problem. When you say dangerous, what exactly do you mean by that?"

"Lowmen," Xavier replied, using his heels to make his horse move. "Fast, but without horses."

"Okay. Got it. "And what are lowmen?"

Xavier turned his head to study her. "Those who came here but chose to side with the wizard. Everyone has a choice and they chose to do his bidding."

"Bandits, or highwaymen."

Xaxier turned once more. "I do not know of these. If we are caught do not say who you are. The ransom is high enough to tempt many."

"Ransom? There's a ransom on me."

"We best be going. The journey is long and your indulgence in bed has delayed us."

Nicole squeezed Waverly's waist, whispering in her ear. "We definitely indulged."

She giggled as they followed Xavier out of the courtyard, along the cobbled street to the end of the village. "Hold tight, let your body move with the horse. Don't fight him."

Nicole gripped the reins, pulling her arms in closer to Waverly who had hold of Gosfar's mane. The horses broke into a slow trot, their speed increasing as they crossed the first open field, heading towards a range of hills in the distance, then into a cantor, finally a gallop, the wind whistling in Nicole's ears as they journeyed to her ancestral home. Her eyes half-closed to protect them from the air rushing past her face, she could feel herself relaxing into the rhythm of Gosfar's movements, letting him go where he needed to go.

To say she was enjoying the ride would be an overstatement, her hands gripping the reins tightly, her arms still pressed into Waverly, telling herself not to fall off. Without a saddle there was nowhere for her long legs, they instinctively bending back, gripping Gosfar's barrel, feeling his athletic movements vibrating through her thighs. They must have been riding for no more than an hour when Xavier slowed to a trot, then a walk, pulling up beside them. "You have done well. Gosfar is pleased with you."

"How much further?" Waverly asked.

"Many hours. We will stop here to eat and drink. We may not have another opportunity until we reach the glades."

Nicole wasn't sure eating and drinking would be a good idea given the motion of her horse, sitting quietly on a large stone watching as Xavier brought out a metal flask and a pouch. Removing the stopper he offered her the bottle. "Mead. Your health."