Chapter 3

Arriving at the edge of the village, they stood staring at the row of cottages before them. "Medieval would be my guess," Jeremy offered.

"Hans Christian Andersen more like," Robin added. "We're in Never Never Land."

"J M Barrie."

"Barry who?" Robin asked.

"J M Barrie wrote Peter Pan. Never Never Land. With Tinkerbell and the Lost Boys."

"Well, we're definitely lost," Robin replied. "As long as we're not in Wonderland."

"Lewis Carroll."

"Guys, guys," Nicole interrupted. "Wherever we are we need to find a path and we need to rescue Waverly before midnight. Just one question, how do you know so much about fairy tales?"

"Doesn't everyone read fairy tales." Jeremy replied.

"Financial Times." Robin suggested, earning glares from Jeremy and Nicole. "No sense of humour."

An old woman emerged from one of the houses, approaching them. "You be most welcome strangers."

Nicole bowed, not knowing what else to do. "We're here on a quest to rescue the dancer."

The woman's expression changed, fear entering her eyes. "Best be warned none has succeeded."

"Clearly, otherwise we wouldn't be here," Robin replied, earning another dig in the ribs from Jeremy.

"What my good friend means," Jeremy offered. "We need to find the path to wherever the dancer is."

The old woman looked left and right, motioning for the three to draw near, Robin putting his hand over his mouth on smelling her raw onion breath. "There be a tavern at the far end of the village. Best be asking in there."

"Thanks, much appreciated," Nicole replied, waiting for the old woman to hobble off. "Okay everyone, no idea what we're doing but looks like beer's involved."

"I'm not drinking anything," Jeremy said. "Not till we work out how all this works. Alice in Wonderland remember. Could end up shrinking, or growing. Can't be too careful."

"Good thinking," Nicole said. "Okay, no beers."

"Is wine off the menu?" Robin asked.

"If you're not going to take this seriously," Nicole replied. "No wine, cocktails, or whiskey."

"Sherry. You didn't mention Sherry."

"You don't drink Sherry," Jeremy said. "When have you ever drunk Sherry?"

"Guys, guys, seriously, not helping here. Okay, here's the plan, we find this tavern, we ask about the path, we do not, repeat not eat or drink anything. Got it."

"Do you think they might have a restroom?" Robin asked. "I really could do with going."

Nicole threw up her hands. "Fine. We find you a restroom. Why you couldn't have used a tree."

"I'm not a tree kind of guy. It's cruel."

"I so should have gone on this quest on my own. Fine. Tavern, path. Correction, tavern, restroom, path, Waverly. Everyone clear?"

Robin and Jeremy nodded, following Nicole down the cobbled street peering into cottages as they passed. Homely scenes greeted them, as if this was a perfectly normal day for those who inhabited whatever, or wherever the three now found themselves. Arriving at what they guessed must be the tavern Nicole pushed open the door, busy with villagers drinking and talking, the noise from the drinkers and smoke from the open fire in the centre of the tavern a heady mixture, making their way to a counter at the back.