Chapter 29

Robin handed over a small box with a selection of powders. "Didn't know you were a chilli head," he remarked. "Different levels of heat."

"It's a wedding present to Waverly. How's the world beyond here?"

"Same," Jeremy replied. "Still haven't tracked down the mirror. The theatre is boarded up. We saw the last performance according to the notice on the door. I'm guessing without Waverly he no longer had a show."

"Who gave you the tickets?" Nicole asked, turning to Robin.

"Some guy outside the theatre. Said they were on sale, only three left."

Nicole shook her head. "Something doesn't add up."

Robin shrugged. "Beats me. But, here we are, you dressed like Xena warrior princess. Is this the look here?"

"I took an oath to protect the glades. This is the gear I have to wear. Got my own sword too." Nicole pulled it from the scabbard. "Her name is Durendal."

Robin snorted dandelion beer through his nose. "You named a sword. What are your boots called?"

"God, I've missed you," Nicole replied, laughing at Robin's quick wit. "And you, Jez. Waverly is so excited you're here for our union. I need to speak with my parents. Hope you two are okay riding on the back of our horses."

Nicole made her way over to her parents, hugging her mother again. "Grandmother is looking forward to seeing you."

"It's been a long time," her mother replied. "How is she?"

"She's well, keeps me in check. There are so many rules and customs and ways to remember. I get confused."

Her mother nodded. "I wanted to be free of them. To be myself. When I laid eyes on your father I knew my heart lay beyond the glades. I'm glad you've found yours here. She needs your help. I'm dying to meet Waverly."

Her father coughed, Nicole hugging him. "You're settled here then," he said, not one for many words.

"I am. It's kinda like New York."

Her father laughed. "What did your employers say?"

"They gave me a two year sabbatical. Said, I should go travel if that's what I needed to do."

"So, you'll return to our world?"

Nicole shook her head. "My place is here now, with grandmother. She needs me. And Waverly's wings are growing back."

Nicole's father looked at their mother for an explanation. "Her wings were removed by the wizard. I told you dear. Now she is with Nicole they can grow again and when fully formed she will be able to bear children."

"Right, right. Good news. Grandpa."

The party made their way outside, bags slung on the backs of those not carrying guests, Nicole's mother approaching Gosfar, resting her head on his, speaking in her native tongue. "I've missed you," she said, Nicole watching as her mother's bond with her horse reignited. "You will keep my child safe."

Gosfar nodded, puffing air through his nostrils, Nicole stroking his neck. "I didn't know he was your horse."

"We were inseparable," her mother replied. "We would go on wild adventures. I'm glad he is yours now. He says you ride like me."

"I'm still learning. And he is very forgiving. Why didn't you stay?"

Nicole's mother jumped onto the back of Gosfar as if she were a teenager impressing Nicole. "I found love. We go where our heart takes us. Yours is here. Mine is elsewhere."