Chapter 20

The now familiar feeling of being uplifted in spirit hit Nicole, a grin forming, her body rising a little off the seat, the tops of her thighs touching the underside of the table. "Wish you could feel this," she said to Jeremy. "It's like every Christmas and birthday in one."

"Drugs," he replied. "You're doing drugs now."

"Dust. The best in town. It'll help me see."

"Said every addict," Nicole beaming at him, the happiest he had seen her in a while. "Who are you looking for?"

"Someone who knows the world of magic, who has more knowledge than us."

Jeremy scanned the bar, busy with customers eating and drinking, not one looking out of place. "Are you sure you'll find them here?"

"There, in the corner booth," Nicole said. "Wait, there's another, a woman, red shirt, six o'clock. Which one, which one? I'm going with the older guy."

Nicole eased herself out of the booth, focusing her mind on her beloved Sandy, her feet remaining on the ground. Jeremy had hold of the back of her coat as a precaution, wondering if he had enough strength of keep her from floating towards the ceiling. Approaching the guy, he smiled, returning to his steaks and fries, inviting them to join him. "Troy," he said, after swallowing a piece of steak, washed down by a mouthful of beer. "What brings you to my table?"

"I'm looking for someone," Nicole began. "Someone who can help us unbind a spell."

The man's eyes rested on her for a while, kind eyes, the eyes of a grandpa watching his grandchildren play. Nicole felt their warmth, her legs hitting the underside of the table with a jolt, Jeremy grabbing her arm in case she zoomed upwards. "I see you partake in the dust. Wonderful stuff, although needs discipline. I once ended up clinging to the broadcast antenna at the top of the Empire State Building."

"This world is new to me. I've only just found out I'm Troy. My friend, she's fallen under a spell that's put her to sleep."

"And you need me to unbind the spell. Sadly I do not possess such knowledge."

Nicole's ass hit the seat with a thud. "Where do we get help? We have to find the forever flower."

"A friend of mine, maybe he will know. Come, I will take you to him. It's not far."

"Don't you want to finish your food?" Nicole asked, looking at the two bloody steaks on the plate.

With one swift movement the older man picked up both, swallowing them whole, letting out a contented low growl. "Part werewolf."

Jeremy and Nicole glanced at each other, no longer sure they were doing the right thing, deciding they had little choice but to trust this stranger. Stepping outside Nicole wasn't prepared for the sight before her eyes, spotting magical folk everywhere she looked. A woman passed them, smiling at Nicole, a baby dragon on a lead by her feet. She must have seen the shocked look on Nicole's face, lifting the creature off the ground. "He doesn't bite," she said, petting the smoking animal. "House trained too. Mind you, we end up with singed rugs if he doesn't get his daily walk. Don't we Felix?"

Nicole nodded by way of acknowledgement, her mind in overdrive attempting to understand the world she was seeing. Jeremy still had hold of her arm, tugging on it as her feet left the ground. "You're rising. Nicole, I might not be able to hold you."

Nicole shook her head. "Think sad thoughts. Think sad thoughts." Her feet hit the pavement, the woman still before them, smiling. "Still adjusting," Nicole said, bowing for no other reason than she had no idea what she was doing anymore. "We are in search of the forever flower."