Chapter 4

Nicole looked at her two companions. "Why's this on me? Okay, an autograph, that's what got us here. Wanting a dancer's autograph."

"Exactly, an autograph," Jeremy repeated. "Except, how many autographs do you usually get when you see a show?"

Nicole paused, thinking through all the shows she had seen. "There was that one time...no. Oh, wait, there was that famous British actor...no, don't think I got one for her performance either. Okay, okay, this might be the first time, but it's hardly unusual seeking an autograph. I mean she was really good. You saw her."

"So, this is your first and only autograph," Robin said. "Yay, virgin prince to the rescue."

"Technically not even that," Nicole replied. "Never actually got the autograph. Do I have to be a prince? I don't think it's within my performance range. I don't role play, unless it's in front of a judge."

"I would suggest you don't go Maid Marion," Jeremy offered. "We don't know what we're about to encounter and you in a long dress could slow us down. Consider what would work scaling a castle wall, or fighting dragons."

"Only, there's a really lovely pale blue dress hanging up. Fine, fine, I'll go with the leggings."

Robin was already changing into the clothing he had selected, Jeremy shaking his head. "Only you. Really, that's what you've chosen."

"Minstrel. Need to find an instrument. Anyone seen a guitar in any of this stuff?"

"Court jester," Jeremy corrected. "You've picked the court jester's outfit. Although, to be fair it does look good on you."

Nicole picked through the pile on the floor, eventually selecting enough pieces of clothing to transform into a rather dashing prince, complete with a gold trimmed cape. Donning a large hat with a feather she stood in front of the mirror to admire her outfit, Waverly's face appearing. "You look extremely handsome in that outfit. But, I fear the time is ticking away. You must hurry."

"Thanks. Look, where exactly are you?"

"I'm in the water and on the walls. I'm in a tap and a tear that falls. Find me."

"Wait. The map we have only shows a path to the edge of an enchanted forest where the castle is located." Silence. Nicole stared into the mirror. "Guys, what did she mean by that?"

"She means she wants you to find her," Robin replied, Nicole's eyes rolling.

"I know that. I meant the water and wall, the tap and tear."

"Reflections," Jeremy explained. "She means we'll be able to see her in any reflective surface. Water is reflective, as is a mirror."

"Of course," Nicole said. "This place is weird. No one says what they really mean. Help me find something reflective we can bring with us."

Jeremy scanned the room. "Like your thinking. That plate might do it. No, it's too dull to reflect our faces. A sword perhaps. Are any super shiny?"

Robin rummaged through his trouser pocket, pulling out his wallet. "We could use this," he said, extracting a credit card sized mirror from one of the slots. "It's for my emergencies."

"Perfect," Nicole said, taking it from him. "Do you think our stuff will be safe here? Tempted to bring my bag."

"That which belongs to you will be safe," Waverly said, her reflection appearing in Robin's tiny mirror. "You need to journey far beyond here. If you do not leave now the path will disappear."

"I understand," Nicole replied. "I will rescue you. No idea how, but we're coming for you."

Waverly's face smiled at her from Robin's mirror. "I know you will. You have a true heart. Go swiftly my love."