Chapter 34

Nicole's mom was busy buying groceries when she felt a familiar tug on her heart, dropping the bottle of maple syrup she was holding without thinking, watching as it exploded on the tile floor. Her hand went to her heart, feeling her baby's cry for help, knowing she was in trouble.

Pulling out her phone, calling her husband, she could hear he was in the club house already. "Nicole's in trouble, I can feel it."

"She's probably locked herself out of her apartment again."

"You know she's not there. Something's wrong."

"She'll be fine. You used to get that all the time when she went to college."

"I'm telling you something's not right. Oh my, it's the baby. I've got to go to her."

"Really, she's fine. She's a big girl now, she can take care of herself. Stop fretting. She would send word if she needed you."

A store assistant arrived with a bucket and mop. "I'm going. You'll have to make your own dinner." Smiling at the assistant, apologising, she offered to pay for the spillage, the assistant shrugging.

Leaving her shopping cart Nicole's mother sat in her car, placing her right hand over her heart, closing her eyes. "Mother, Orfhlaith is in trouble, she needs us. I know we're no longer close, but for her and the future of the elven world."

Her mother heard, her eyes opening having dozed off next to Waverly's bed. "Double the guards. No one enters. We are under attack."

Driving to their home Nicole's mother pulled out her battle dress, squeezing herself in, glad she hadn't put on too many pounds since it was last worn. It felt good to have it on, its roughness against her skin one of familiarity, of solidarity to a folk who would fight to the death to save one of their own. And, that one person was now her daughter.

Marching up the street where she lived, knocking on number 49, she waited for her friend to answer, the door opening, the woman looking at her letting out a laugh. "Girl, you knows that ain't the way to dress round here."

"Nicole's in trouble. I feel it. I need your help."

The woman scanned the street, checking if anyone had seen Nicole's mother dressed in a peculiar outfit striding towards her house. "Come in before you get us both arrested. Where is she?"

"I'm not sure. Not the Ruby Glades, otherwise she wouldn't have called for me. My guess is here, in this world. What do I do?"

"Have you made contact? Get her to give you some idea where she is."

"Delores, you're an angel. No, that's what we need to do."

"Sweetie, I'm no angel. I'm a witch remember. I could use my crystal ball. Ain't had that out in years."

Delores headed to the basement, Nicole's mother following, standing before a large trunk in the far corner. Swiping her hand across the lock it fell open, retrieving a small glass globe and stand, placing it on top of the trunk. "I'm only doing this because it's Nicole, and you. You're my dearest friend and I ain't letting no one harm her."

Nicole's mother placed a hand on her shoulder. "You are a good friend. Can you see anything?"

Delores peered into the globe. "She's crying. A room, dark, powerful magic. New York. Her heart's breaking. Waverly's sick, the baby too if she doesn't get her the essence in time. Oh my, he wants to drive her insane. Who is she caught up with?"

"The black swan. I must go to her."

"Svane. How did she cross paths with that snake?"

"I'm guessing the same way I nearly did. I should have warned her. It's too late now. Thank you. Owe you."