Chapter 35

Nicole had never been so glad to see family and friends as she was in that moment, hugging her mother first, followed by everyone else, including those who were strangers. She didn't care, relieved not to be tied to a chair any longer in the basement of Angelo's, back in the city she had begun to call home, back with sane, rational people who weren't out to drive her crazy.

"I need to find Angelo," she announced, realising she was wearing her own clothes once more, feeling in the pocket for the vial. "It's gone. That bastard took it. Or, maybe he never gave it to me."

"I will slit his throat," Xavier announced, pulling out Fangoril. "He deserves nothing more."

"Whoa," Nicole replied. "Put that away, you'll have NYPD after us. No, I still need Angelo's help."

"We do not bargain with a wizard."

Nicole smiled. "He owes me. That is if he's still alive."

They followed her into the deli, the woman behind the counter oddly similar to the one in the asylum, Nicole standing before her. "Where's Angelo?"

"Out, I guess."

Nicole marched towards the basement, the woman calling after her. "You're not allowed down there."

Nicole turned, narrowing her eyes. "Get on with your business. And, I'd advise you not to call the cops or my good friend will introduce you to his trusted companion on his belt."

The woman's eyes went to Xavier's sword, busying herself with cutting up meats. Nicole instructed Robin to watch over her in case she decided to make that phone call. The two men from the village, along with the tavern owner and his daughter were also told to wait with him, Nicole not wanting too many to see what lay beneath the store.

The basement was as she left it, the door to Angelo's private library open, the room inside stuffed with his magical tomes for those who could see, which was everyone apart from Nicole and Jeremy. Delores clapped her hands together ready to explore what the wizard's library held, a banging sound coming from a crate in the corner. Prizing the lid off they found Angelo bound and gagged, thankful to be rescued himself. "I should have known not to entertain the black swan," he said, as he was helped out of the box.

"He has the essence," Nicole said. "The one for Waverly."

Angelo shook his head. "It is safe."

"I have nothing to give you for it."

"A gift. I could hear what he was doing. To think he was once compassionate. The death of his wife and child changed him."

"Don't expect me to feel sorry for him," Nicole said. "Not after what he's done to Waverly and the magical world. And now wanting my child."

"His heart has turned to ice," Angelo observed. "To make others suffer as he believes he has suffered is not our way. It turns one against another through fear or misplaced loyalty."

"He won't stop. He'll keep going until all the magical world is under his control. And still it will never be enough."

"You are right," Angelo replied. "The time has come to cease the madness. I will help however I can. I should have come to the aid of those in need sooner. For that I have to bear the burden for allowing it to continue."

"Can he be defeated?" Jeremy asked. "He seems pretty invincible to me. Stuck you in a crate."

"Couldn't kill me without wounding himself. He grows stronger, you are correct. His power has been left unchecked for too long which is to our disadvantage."