Chapter 39

Her yells woke Waverly, rushing to Nicole's side, both staring into the empty cradle, her wings flapping, her heart beating against her chest for release. "She's gone. She's gone," Nicole repeated, Wynonna bursting into their bedroom, followed by the queen and Xavier. The last to enter was Nicole's mother, consoling her daughter who was shaking, her beautiful, beautiful baby stolen.

"We'll find her," her mother consoled. "Orfhlaith, we'll find her."

"He promised me," Nicole screamed, tears streaming down her face. "He promised me he would keep her out of Svane's hands. He promised."

"I will have the guards search the palace," Xavier instructed. "And, ready the warriors to go beyond in search of her."

"It's too late," Nicole sobbed. "He'll be long gone. How? We did everything."

"My love, she'll return to us," Waverly consoled, as much traumatised by what was going on as Nicole. "My heart tells me."

"I need to see Angelo. We go to his house, now."

Wiping her eyes, dressing in her armour, she and Wynonna led a group of guards to Angelo's house, the rain beating down, the night foul. All the while Nicole's heart was breaking at the thought Svane now had what was most precious to her, cursing his existence, vowing to rip his arms and his legs from his body if she ever caught up with him. And, catching up with him was all she could focus on, determined once and for all to exterminate this repulsive rodent from this world and any world.

Her sole mission now was to get her child back and kill Svane. Nothing else mattered. Nothing. Well, apart from Waverly. She had left her in the care of her mother and grandmother, promising not to do anything stupid, knowing full well she would do anything, literally anything to have Roisin safe in Waverly's arms once more. Even if it meant sacrificing her own life.

Hammering on Angelo's door there was no noise inside, not even a light, Nicole guessing he was either sleeping, or had vanished. Her boot kicked the wood, a splintering sound heard alongside a clap of thunder, the door remaining in position, her hair hanging as torrential rain continued to beat down on the party. Wynonna moved Nicole to one side, trying the door knob, the door opening with ease. "Guess he's not worried about thieves," Wynonna offered.

Nicole barged past, her eyes taking in the cottage for the first time, its tidiness telling her Angelo was long gone. Wynonna had an envelope in her hand, the only item on a small table by the door. "It's addressed to you," she said, handing it to Nicole.

Inside was one sheet of paper folded twice, Nicole squinting in the darkness to read the words:

My dearest Orfhlaith,

Let me begin. I am old and she is young
I know the time has finally come
To send the swan on his merry way
So those in your heart can finally say
Good riddance and good cheer.

And, so I ask you do one thing
To the lake a friend you bring
To lead the dance lit by the moon
As he made others dance his tune
Good riddance and good cheer.

And only you the deed requires
To meet me once the sun expires
I ask you do this task for me
And in return she will be free
Until we meet again.

Nicole read the message from Angelo several times, handing it to Wynonna. "I have no fucking idea what he means."

"Not sure I like the idea of you going alone to wherever he wants you to go. I will travel with you, as far as I can."

Nicole found the nearest chair. "I've lost her. In my heart I always knew he would get her. I should have taken Roisin to my world, stayed with my parents. Anything. I am dead without her."